Sydney Metro West will connect greater Parramatta and the Sydney CBD
INDUSTRY, INNOVATION AND INFRASTRUCTURE
Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
Economic growth, social advancement and action against the climate emergency depend largely on investment in infrastructure, sustainable industrial development and technological progress. Today, about 1 billion people live more than 2 km from a roadway, 940 million live without electricity, and 663 million lack improved drinking water sources.
ACCIONA participates in the entire infrastructure construction value chain, from the identification of opportunity, design and execution, to the operation and maintenance of the constructed works, using the most advanced and innovative techniques.
Performance quality and safety are two of the criteria that maximize the company's value proposal in the development of large infrastructure projects and that differentiate it from other competitors in the construction field.
Acciona Ferrovial Joint Venture (AFJV) has been awarded the contract to design and construct the Sydney Metro West – Central Tunnelling Package. The contract includes the delivery of twin 11 kilometre tunnels and excavation of five station boxes at Sydney Olympic Park, North Strathfield, Burwood North, Five Dock and The Bays.
This new underground metro railway will double rail capacity between Parramatta and the Sydney CBD, with a target travel time of about 20 minutes between the two centres. Construction started in September 2021.
- Location: Sydney, New South Wales.
- Contract type: Design and construction.
- Joint Venture: ACCIONA Australia and Ferrovial Australia.
- Project value: $1.96 billion (AUD).
- Contract award date: 15 July 2021
- Year of project completion: 2025
- Twin 11 kilometre metro railway tunnels from The Bays to Sydney Olympic Park.
- Excavation and civil works for five new stations at The Bays, Five Dock, Burwood North, North Strathfield and Sydney Olympic Park.
- Two double-shield, hard rock TBMs.
- A crossover cavern at Burwood North and one of the two precast facilities at Eastern Creek.
- More than 70,000 concrete segments to line the twin tunnels.
- Two access shafts at Burwood North and The Bays.
- A TBM launch site at The Bays Station and a TBM retrieval site at Sydney Olympic Park Station.
If you want to know more, please access the Sydney Metro West - Central Tunnelling Package project page.