San Gabriel Wind Farm
ACCIONA has carried out two wind projects in the region of La Araucania (Chile), totaling 267 MW of combined capacity.
In late 2019, the company put the San Gabriel Wind Farm into service. ACCIONA owns and operates this 183-megawatt (MW) facility which will produce emission-free electricity equivalent to the consumption of over 270,000 Chilean homes.
The installation of San Gabriel has meant the creation of around 510 jobs on average during the construction period, and another 15 permanent jobs for the operation and maintenance of the wind farm, plus the knock-on effect on the economic development of the region.
Additionally, the company is currently buidling the Tolpan Sur Wind Farm in the same municipality. It features 28 wind turbines similar to those installed in San Gabriel WF, totaling 84 MW which will be able to meet the power demand of some 137,000 homes.
- Location: Comuna de Renaico, Araucania. Chile.
- Capacity San Gabriel: 183 MW.
- Tolpan Sur: 84 MW.Wind turbines61+28 ACCIONA Windpower AW132/3000.
- Tower: Concrete, 120 m at hub height.
- Start up: 2019-2020.
- Owner: ACCIONA.
- San Gabriel will be the largest ACCIONA's wind power facility in Chile.
- Both wind farms will produce clean energy for some 407,000 homes.
- They will avoid the emission of 949,000 tonnes of CO2 from coal-fired powe stations annually.
- Up to 1,000 jobs created on the construction phase and 25 permanent jobs for O&M.
- Concrete towers manufatured on-site, increasing local value creation and reducing transport.
- Located at the municipality of Renaico, around 550 km south of Santiago de Chile.
- Frequent contact with the community and participation in community promotion initiatives.
wind turbines of 3 MW nominal unit capacity
of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere avoided
created during construction
Technology and innovation
We provide our customers with real-time traceability of energy from our renewable generation plants and storage systems to their points of consumption. This information is not only integrated in an interface that our customers can use to visualize or download the data or display dynamically in their facilities as a marketing tool, but it is also recorded in blockchain to increase transparency. The I'MNOVATION Startups program was the umbrella under which the first pilot for this solution was developed.
Turbine for life
Project that contributes to increasing the useful life of wind turbines, to knowing the state of the fleet and to detecting abnormal behaviour in order to optimise the management and the costs of operation and maintenance of the assets. For the analysis of the remaining life of the structural components, work is being done on developing physical models. To predict failures in Acciona's wind turbine fleet, work is being done along two lines: the development of WindBrain® to detect abnormal behaviour, and the use of Machine Learning to identify failure patterns in wind components.
San Gabriel wind farm enters into service and first concrete wind towers in Chile
On the occasion of the groundbreaking event at the San Gabriel wind farm in La Auracanía, the Mapuche community of Renaico, led by their leaders, the Machis, asked for protection from Pachamama, Mother Earth.
In the last quarter of this year, ACCIONA put into operation two new renewable energy projects in Chile: the San Gabriel wind farm (183 MW) in the Araucanía region and the Almeyda photovoltaic plant (62 MWp)
ACCIONA installs the country's first concrete towers at the 183 MW San Gabriel wind farm. A solution that serves to reach higher, reduce transport and create more local added value.
We show you some sequences of the journey made by shovels, nacelles and hubs from the Chilean port of Lirquen to the San Gabriel wind farm, in the Commune of Renaico (La Araucanía).