WHAT IS SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT?
Sustainable development is a concept that appeared for the first time in 1987 with the publication of the Brundtland Report, warning of the negative environmental consequences of economic growth and globalization, which tried to find possible solutions to the problems caused by industrialization and population growth.
SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT EXPLAINED IN 2 MINUTES
In this video we show you what sustainability is, its origin and its importance to try to achieve a global well-being of the present and future generations.
HOW TO ACHIEVE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT?
Many of the challenges facing humankind, such as climate change, water scarcity, inequality and hunger, can only be resolved at a global level and by promoting sustainable development: a commitment to social progress, environmental balance and economic growth.
As a part of a new sustainable development roadmap, the United Nations approved the 2030 Agenda, which contains the Sustainable Development Goals, a call to action to protect the planet and guarantee the global well-being of people. These common goals require the active involvement of individuals, businesses, administrations and countries around the world.
WHAT ARE THE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS?
The Sustainable Development Goals, also known as the Global Goals, are a call from the United Nations to all countries around the world to address the great challenges that humanity faces and to ensure that all people have the same opportunities to live a better life without compromising our planet.
SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS EXPLAINED IN 2 MINUTES
Human-kind faces many challenges to ensure that all people have the same development and well-being opportunities. One of the major recent achievements in sustainability has been the adoption of Agenda 2030 and the Sustainable Development Goals. Do you know what they are and how they were born?
17 goals for a better world
These 17 objectives are interrelated and often the key to one's success will involve the issues most frequently linked to another.
They can be summarised as follows:
- Eradicate poverty and hunger, guaranteeing a healthy life
- Universalize access to basic services such as water, sanitation and sustainable energy
- Support the generation of development opportunities through inclusive education and decent work
- Foster innovation and resilient infrastructure, creating communities and cities able to produce and consume sustainably
- Reduce inequality in the world, especially that concerning gender
- Care for the environment combating climate change and protecting the oceans and land ecosystems
- Promote collaboration between different social agents to create an environment of peace and sustainable development.
WE CONTRIBUTE TO SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
We contribute to Sustainable Development
WHAT IS ACCIONA DOING IN THE AREA OF SUSTAINABILITY?
At ACCIONA we want to contribute to achieving sustainable development by responding to the planet's great challenges, so that current and future generations may enjoy a better life.