Lamèque Wind Farm
CLEAN, NON-POLLUTING ENERGY
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
1 in 8 people still do not have access to electricity. In order to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all, it is necessary to increase the use of renewable energy from 25 % today to 38 % in 2025.
ACCIONA is positioning itself as a key player in addressing the growth in energy demand while curbing the progress of global warming and promoting the transition to a decarbonized energy model.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy is responsible for 74 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the new needs of humanity and to minimise their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its related effects to be a strategic priority. The Company is working to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
Grid connected in 2011, Lamèque was the first wind farm installed by the company in Canada with ACCIONA Windpower wind turbines. It consists of thirty AW1500 turbines that produce clean energy to cover the electricity demand of around 8,000 homes in the area. It is located on the island of the same name, on the country’s Atlantic coast.
- Location: Lamèque Island, Gloucester County, New Brunswick. Canada.
- Capacity: 45 MW.
- Wind turbine: ACCIONA Windpower AW77/1500.
- Tower: Steel,hub height 80m.
- Start-up: 2011.
- Owner: ACCIONA.
- First wind farm with ACCIONA Windpower turbines in Canada.
- Contract awarded after a selection process organized by the utility company New Brunswick Power for the purchase of renewable energy.
- Clean energy equivalent to the consumption of over 8,000 homes
- Around 148,000 metric tons of CO2 emissions from coal-fired power stations avoided per year
- Construction under harsh weather conditions
- An example of the synergies between the business units Energy, Windpower and Infrastructure of the ACCIONA Group.
megawatts (MW) of power
tons of CO2 into the atmosphere avoided per year
jobs created during construction
million tree equivalent