more efficient autonomous urban systems
ACCUS (Adaptive Cooperative Control in Urban (sub) Systems) is an ambitious Project meant to achieve a better sustainable management and to engage synergies in order to improve citizens’ quality of life.
It is motivated by the societal challenge “Smart buildings and communities in the future” and the supporting scenarios “Mobility for everyone”, “Energy control in the urban and rural environment” and “Security” as defined in the ARTEMISIA Strategic Research Agenda (SRA).
The ACCUS project is focused on the integration of urban subsystems such an intelligent transport systems, city light systems and energy management systems. Rather than developing solutions for specific applications and scenarios, the ACCUS project will develop theoretical framework (e.g. semantic interoperability concepts) and practical framework (e.g. methodology, reference architecture) to design new applications within converged scenarios.
FP7-JTI-CP-ARTEMIS - Joint Technology Initiatives - Collaborative Project (ARTEMIS)
Spanish Ministry of Industry, Energy and Tourism
Urban systems like traffic, energy, and outdoor lighting are managed by self-contained embedded systems – though the managed processes are deeply interconnected. New applications and collective optimization require integration of these systems which represents a truly “systems of systems” integration problem: these urban systems evolve independently, have their own purpose and internal policies which must not be affected by such integration and have their own management.
As a result, the integration has to manage emergent behaviour and take non-availability of components as the norm rather than the exception. This is particularly challenging when control loop span across several systems.
ACCUS aims at three innovations:
- 1.Provide an integration and coordination platform for urban systems to build applications across urban systems
- 2.Provide adaptive and cooperative control architecture and corresponding algorithms for urban subsystems in order to optimize their combined performance
- 3.Provide general methodologies and tools for creating real-time collaborative applications for systems of systems ACCUS studies a set of so-called converged scenarios that span across urban systems to investigate requirements and defines reference architecture for the integration of urban systems, based on semantic descriptions.
Simulations with software and systems in the loop will be supported. The entire development and integration will be supported by tools. The ACCUS system and tools will be validated and demonstrated in an extended use case in Poland and with at least four different urban systems. The input of ACCUS is the work of several other ARTEMIS projects that focus on the self-contained urban systems themselves. ACCUS goals are ambitious. In order to achieve these goals a well-established and high quality consortium with a broad scope of complementary disciplines and a long experience in European and National programs is lined up to do the job.
Main issues of acciona in the project
- Installation of a Wireless Sensor Network (WSN) in Poland directed to monitor several traffic indicators.
- Definition of the technical and functional requirements of ACCIONA´s Road Monitoring Subsystem in the framework of the ACCUS platform.
- Definition of the key indicators (traffic parameters) for the ACCIONA´s use case.
- Definition of the mechanisms to address alarms and events for ACCIONA´s Road Monitoring Subsystem.
- Development of the mechanisms to send the gathered data by the WSN to the ACCUS platform.
01/06/2013-31/01/2016 (32 months)
- INSTALACIONES INABENSA SA - Spain
- HI IBERIA INGENIERIA Y PROYECTOS SL - Spain
- ACCIONA INFRAESTRUCTURAS S.A. - Spain
- FUNDACION TECNALIA RESEARCH & INNOVATION - Spain
- UNIVERSIDAD POLITECNICA DE MADRID - Spain
- UNIVERSITAT DE GIRONA - Spain
- ISTITUTO COOPERATIVO PER L'INNOVAZIONE SCRL - Italy
- UNIVERSITA DEGLI STUDI DI CAGLIARI - Italy
- CPL CONCORDIA SOCIETA COOPERATIVA - Italy
- Vysoke uceni technicke v Brne - Czech Republic
- INSTITUT MIKROELEKTRONICKYCH APLIKACI S.R.O. - Czech Republic
- POMORSKIE CENTRUM PRZETWARZANIA DANYCH SP ZOO - Poland
- VEMCO SP ZOO - Poland
- POLITECHNIKA GDANSKA - Poland
- BS SPOLKA Z OGRANICZONA ODPOWIEDZIALNOSCIA SPOLKA KOMANDYTOWA - Poland
- AZO DIGITAL SP ZOO - Poland
- SECURITY MATTERS BV - Netherlands
- COOPERATIE DEVLAB, DEVELOPMENT LABORATORIES UA - Netherlands
- THALES NEDERLAND BV - Netherlands
- NEDERLANDSE ORGANISATIE VOOR TOEGEPAST NATUURWETENSCHAPPELIJK ONDERZOEK - Netherlands
- TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITEIT EINDHOVEN - Netherlands
- ITÄ-SUOMEN YLIOPISTO - Finland
- HURJA SOLUTIONS OY HUR - Finland
- DATACTICA OY - Finland
- INSTITUTO DE TELECOMUNICACOES - Portugal
- INEA INFORMATIZACIJA ENERGETIKA AVTOMATIZACIJA DOO - Slovenia
- INSTITUT JOZEF STEFAN - Slovenia