- A year of challenges and commitment to design a better planet. Summarizing some of the most reowned milestones through which we are contributing to make our planet a more sustainable place.
Only a few days have passed since we brought in the New Year in 2019. Our company has plenty of challenges ahead of it over the next 12 months.
However, before we look at what will surely be a highly-charged and action-packed year, let's take a few moments to cast our minds back and see what the highlights were for ACCIONA in 2018:
- The year began with ACCIONA’s announcement that it would be carrying out another major project in Australia, a country where the company has operated since 2002: the elimination of level crossings in the Australian state of Victoria. This step will improve the quality of life in the neighbourhoods affected by the new works and improve the road network.
We've been awarded a wind farm in Victoria (Australia) with 157.5-MW capacity: https://t.co/1JV7sujte1 @ACCIONA_Au— ACCIONA (English) (@ACCIONA_EN) 11 de septiembre de 2018
🇦🇺 It will generate clean energy equivalent to the electricity consumption of almost 80,000 households
🙌 It will create approximately 100 jobs pic.twitter.com/IM49GSlsLy
- If you put talent and innovation together, the result will be the future. ACCIONA launched the second I'MNOVATION #Startups programme, aimed at supporting start-ups working on new technologies such as Blockchain or Artificial Intelligence:
European Union recognises our #openinnovation program @Imnovation with the "Open Innovation Innovative Approach Award" 🏆— ACCIONA (English) (@ACCIONA_EN) 22 de noviembre de 2018
👉@SEP_EU and @EU_Commission acknowledge the company's efforts to develop innovation in partnership with #startups: https://t.co/tuZm0Gj6Wy pic.twitter.com/C6iGjNadqZ
- What if investing in the planet was the smartest decision? ACCIONA fights climate change by going about our business in a different way, as we tell the world in our Business as Unusual campaign:
- ACCIONA Microenergía, ACCIONA's corporate foundation, will now be known as acciona.org. In this new stage, it will continue to focus all its efforts towards enabling universal access to water and the basic necessary services for people living in some of the most disadvantaged communities around the world.
- In Mexico, ACCIONA launched the El Cortijo wind farm, a complex which came on-stream in record time and which will produce electricity from renewable sources to meet the demand of 350,000 Mexican homes
El Cortijo wind farm is the first energy installation to enter commercial operation within the framework of Mexico’s Wholesale Electricity Market: https://t.co/xhxY0TfLRA @ACCIONA_MX pic.twitter.com/V1ivVx7hk7— ACCIONA (English) (@ACCIONA_EN) 5 de septiembre de 2018
- ACCIONA is forging ahead with its projects in Egypt. 2018 was the turn of renewable energies and it was a year in which ACCIONA began building three photovoltaic plants in Egypt. The company was also chosen to carry out the museological presentation of The Grand Egyptian Museum in Cairo:
We provide the museology for the Grand Egyptian Museum #GEM: https://t.co/PuKeGeyNEJ— ACCIONA (English) (@ACCIONA_EN) 22 de agosto de 2018
🔎The project includes a 3D scan of Tutankhamun’s burial chamber
🇪🇬It will be the largest archaeological museum in the world pic.twitter.com/c4eB1ZPe1x
- ACCIONA's tunnel boring machines, which excavated the FOLLO Line high-speed railway tunnels between Oslo and Ski reached the Norwegian capital, a new milestone in this extraordinary technological project:
Follo Line project reaches Oslo, Norway! Two ACCIONA Ghella Joint Venture tunnel boring machines have reached the Norwegian capital 🇳🇴— ACCIONA (English) (@ACCIONA_EN) 18 de septiembre de 2018
It is the first large-diameter project drilled with TBMs in the country https://t.co/drp25mU5B7 #megaproject pic.twitter.com/FXl5S9Z7Ub
- ACCIONA supported the Homeward Bound programme to promote women's leadership in the fight against climate change in science. This expedition of 79 female scientists to Antarctica was joined by Christiana Figueres, world leader in this area and a director of ACCIONA:
We team up with @HomewardBound16 to promote women’s leadership in the fight against climate change: https://t.co/gRZikkriuN— ACCIONA (English) (@ACCIONA_EN) 28 de septiembre de 2018
👩🔬We're sponsoring an expedition to Antarctica in which 79 female scientists will observe first-hand the impact of climate change #ACCIONAteam pic.twitter.com/SIhEBXBAon
- ACCIONA was also named as one of the top 10 companies in the world in terms of diversity and social inclusion by the Thomson Reuters Diversity & Inclusion Index:
- Since October last year, the people of Madrid have been able to use more than 1,000 shared electric scooters which run fully on renewable energy. This is ACCIONA's new electric scooter-sharing service that will gradually be rolled out in more Spanish cities:
Launching our ACCIONA Motosharing service with more than 1,000 electric scooters 🛵 in #Madrid as part of our sustainable mobility initiative: https://t.co/PiOwtU8Zw7 @AccionaMoto pic.twitter.com/u9pRVwIARs— ACCIONA (English) (@ACCIONA_EN) 17 de octubre de 2018
- ACCIONA has also brought clean energy to one of the most remote places on the planet. Since the end of last year, Easter Island has been able to use its first solar photovoltaic plant connected to the local electrical grid:
All the electricity consumed by Chile’s Easter Island 🗿used to be generated with diesel – until we donated its first renewable energy plant connected to the grid: Tama Te Ra’a (“first rays of the sun”) photovoltaic plant ⚡️☀️ https://t.co/ZHrsxsNdqU #InvestInThePlanet pic.twitter.com/Ewcx4kjC2F— ACCIONA (English) (@ACCIONA_EN) 20 de noviembre de 2018
- ACCIONA was also named the world's greenest electricity company for the fourth year running:
We did it again! We are the world’s greenest utility for the fourth year in a row, according to @energyintel Top 100 Green Utilities global ranking https://t.co/csUZGG1P3D #RESource2018 pic.twitter.com/sWWQyqXzfF— ACCIONA (English) (@ACCIONA_EN) 20 de noviembre de 2018
If you would like to keep up with the most important news of ACCIONA worldwide and our job offers, subscribe to our newsletter.