• Biofuel generated from hydrotreated vegetable oil

ACCIONA has launched an innovative initiative the Fargo-Moorhead flood diversion project in the United States. The company will introduce for the first time the use of renewable biofuels generated from hydrotreated vegetable waste oil to power heavy machinery for civil works, in a pioneering initiative aimed at decarbonizing infrastructure construction. ACCIONA is executing the Fargo-Moorhead project together with Shikun & Binui USA and North American Construction Group, through the ASN Constructors consortium.

The pilot project will analyze the performance of biofueled machinery. During the six-month duration of this innovative initiative, ACCIONA will use 385,000 liters (100,000 gallons) of renewable biofuel in two bulldozers, which will be monitored to collect both operational and maintenance data. The renewable biofuel will come from the second largest biofuel production facility in the United States, located in North Dakota, promoting the local economy.

Renewable biofuel generated from hydrotreated vegetable oil (HVO) is a renewable liquid fuel that has similar properties to traditional fossil fuels but produces 90% fewer emissions. The remaining 10% mainly comes from the emissions released by the HVO production process instead from its consumption.

The implementation of this pilot project will reduce 1,000 tons of CO2 emissions from the Fargo-Moorhead project. Its continuous use for the project could curb most 40% the projected greenhouse gas emissions of ACCIONA's Construction business in 2023.   

The idea of using HVO in heavy machinery is part of ACCIONA's emissions reduction program within its 2025 Sustainability Master Plan and is financed by ACCIONA's Decarbonization Fund. The purpose of the fund is to support initiatives that promote carbon neutrality in the company’s operations. In 2023, this fund is contributing to the financing of 17 decarbonization initiatives in a variety of global ACCIONA projects.