• New portfolio. Located in the province of San Juan de la Maguana, the Pedro Corto solar plant will be operational in 2025

ACCIONA Energía announced today the development of a new photovoltaic project in the Dominican Republic, the Pedro Corto solar plant, in collaboration with Grupo País. ACCIONA Energía will have a 51% stake in the project, while Grupo Pais will hold the remaining 49%.

Located in the province of San Juan de la Maguana, the project will have a capacity of 63,35MW and its construction is linked to a 15-year PPA with Edesur Dominicana, one of the three state-owned distribution companies in the Dominican Republic.

The facility will feature solar panels affixed to single-axis trackers that adapt their position throughout the day to follow the sun. This technology optimizes sunlight exposure and maximizes production, which will reach 189.07 GWh per year, equivalent to the energy consumption of 78,000 Dominican households.

The plant is expected to start operations by the end of 2025, and it will avoid the emission of over 130,000 tons of CO2 per year or, in other words, the equivalent of taking 50,000 cars off the road. In addition, this project will fall under ACCIONA Energía’s Social Impact Management program, which dedicates a portion of the annual revenues from its facilities to social, environmental and training initiatives that improve the well-being of the people living in the communities where it operates.

ACCIONA Energía began operating its first photovoltaic facility in the Dominican Republic in 2023, the Calabaza I plant (58MWp). The company is also building the 162MW Cotoperí photovoltaic project jointly with Cotosolar Holding, SA, which includes the JMMB Sustainable Energy Fund (FES), managed by JMMB Funds, Grupo Pais and other minority investors. This solar complex will have three photovoltaic plants and it will be one of the largest in Central America and the Caribbean.