Awardes with several national and international awards
INDUSTRY, INNOVATION AND INFRASTRUCTURE
Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
Economic growth, social advancement and action against the climate emergency depend largely on investment in infrastructure, sustainable industrial development and technological progress. Today, about 1 billion people live more than 2 km from a roadway, 940 million live without electricity, and 663 million lack improved drinking water sources.
ACCIONA participates in the entire infrastructure construction value chain, from the identification of opportunity, design and execution, to the operation and maintenance of the constructed works, using the most advanced and innovative techniques.
Performance quality and safety are two of the criteria that maximize the company's value proposal in the development of large infrastructure projects and that differentiate it from other competitors in the construction field.
Line 1 of the Zaragoza Tramway runs between Parque Goya in the north of the city and the Valdespartera district in the southern part of the city. It runs through the historic centre along a catenary-free section and has a total of 33 stations and 21 vehicles, each 32 metres long, which provides a high-frequency service along the line.
The basic 35-year availability-based contract includes the design, construction of civil works, vehicles and systems, as well as the financing, operation and maintenance, and the provision of the rolling stock.
Phase one of the project is under steady operation and phase two is currently operational after construction was completed in December 2012.
The project has won numerous national and international awards, including:
- Light Rail Awards 2012 for the Best Global Project of the Year awarded by the British Ministry of Transport.
- UITP Award 2012 for Best Urban Integration Project.
- Cemex International Infrastructure and Urban Planning Award 2013.
- Location: Zaragoza, Spain.
- Contract type: Design, construction, financing, operation and maintenance.
- Infrastucture: The project includes 13 kilometres of double tracks and 33 stops, of which 2 km operate without overhead lines along the city's historic centre in order to reduce visual impact, using batteries which are charged at the stops.
- Year of project completion: 2013