Located in Madrid
CLEAN WATER AND SANITATION
Ensure access to water and sanitation for all
Over 844 million people in the world live without access to a basic drinking water service, and 2.3 billionhave no access to a basic sanitation service, resulting in avoidable deaths, chronic disease, fewer hours of education and low productivity.
ACCIONA has positioned itself as a key player in the water treatment sector. Its innovative management seeks to resolve the challenges with respect to the shortage of water resources.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy accounts for 74 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low-carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the emerging needs of humanity and to minimize their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its effects to be a strategic priority. The company works to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
It is designed to comply with the discharge limits in a non-sensitive area, as the whole of the Jarama river basin is considered as such, and thanks to the extension, the facilities have been upgraded by means of a complete overhaul of their biological treatment. Thanks to this, the discharge levels have been reduced to lower limits than those foreseen in the initial design and the discharge of nitrogen and phosphorous has been eliminated, as required by the regulations.
- Entity: Madrid Town Council
- Location: Madrid, Spain
- Population: 140,000 eq/inhab
- Flow: 34,560 m3/day
- Pre-breakdown for the total flow
- Complete renewal of the pre-treatment and sand/silt trapping-grease trapping with the construction of an additional line
- Sand/silt clarifying and grease concentrating
- New 41x16 m2 primary settler
- New 3,035 m3 aeration pond with four 60 HP turbines
- New secondary settler with ø 35 m suction bridge sludge extraction
- Sodium hypochlorite dosing installation
- Primary and secondary sludge pumping extension
- ø 9 m gravity thickener
- ø 10 m floatation thickener
- New mixing chamber
- Additional 3215 m3 anaerobic digester with pumping stirring