The biggest water treatment project in Argentina in the last 70 years.
CLEAN WATER AND SANITATION
Ensure access to water and sanitation for all
Over 2,000 million people in the world live without access to a basic drinking water service, and 3,6 billionhave no access to a basic sanitation service, resulting in avoidable deaths, chronic disease, fewer hours of education and low productivity.
ACCIONA has positioned itself as a key player in the water treatment sector. Its innovative management seeks to resolve the challenges with respect to the shortage of water resources.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy accounts for 35 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low-carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the emerging needs of humanity and to minimize their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its effects to be a strategic priority. The company works to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
The joint venture consisting of ACCIONA and FISIA ITALIMPIANTI (WeBuild Group) was awarded the EPC contract by AySA for the Sistema de Riachuelo project in Argentina. The aim is to create an integrated solution to respond to capacity limitations and service level quality of sewerage systems in the metropolitan area of Buenos Aires, providing a service to a population of 4.3 million.
The system offers benefits to 12 municipalities in Buenos Aires and will incorporate a further 1.5 million people into the sanitation network in the future. The project also generates great social benefits in terms of public health, the environment and social development. Overall, more than 30 kilometres of tunnels will mean better service quality and the avoidance of pollution from wastewater effluent in the Riachuelo area.
- Entity: AySA
- Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Population supplied: 4,300,000
- Flow rate: Intake and output pumping: 36 m3/second, pretreatment plant 27 m3/second,
- Type of contract: EPC
The Riachuelo System project consists of three contracts:
- More than 30 kilometres of tunnels
- Removal of coarse solids (4 u x 100 mm)
- 8 vertical-shaft dry chamber electric pumps with a capacity of 4.5 m3/second each and an overall pump head of 23 metres
- Pretreatment Plant
- Treatment capacity: 27 m3/sec
- Removal of coarse solids
- Medium and fine mechanical screening
- Separation of sands and floating bodies: 32 desanders
- Output pumping station
- Vertical-shaft dry chamber electric pumps with a capacity of 4.5 m3/second each and an overall pump head of 19 metres.