Cost efficient way of treating wastewater
CLEAN WATER AND SANITATION
Ensure access to water and sanitation for all
Over 2,000 million people in the world live without access to a basic drinking water service, and 3,6 billionhave no access to a basic sanitation service, resulting in avoidable deaths, chronic disease, fewer hours of education and low productivity.
ACCIONA has positioned itself as a key player in the water treatment sector. Its innovative management seeks to resolve the challenges with respect to the shortage of water resources.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy accounts for 35 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low-carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the emerging needs of humanity and to minimize their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its effects to be a strategic priority. The company works to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
The sewage treatment plant has been operating for 30 years, due to the upgrade in order to accommodate the social growth in Kingborough. This upgrade increases capacity from 4.1 Million Litres per Day to 8.5 Million Litres per Day.
The upgrade to the sewage plant includes construction to earth works, new roadways, new buildings and new tanks as well as equipment installation and commissioning. An Environmental Management Plan was required before construction in order to evaluate site management, erosion control, air quality, flora and fauna, noise management, and traffic management.
- Location: Kingborough, Tasmania
- Our role: Introducing a wastewater treatment process called Intermittently Decanted Extended Aeration (IDEA) which is combined with Sequential Batch Reactor (SBR) technology in order to provide a cost efficient way of treating wastewater.
- Infrastructure: Kingborough Sewerage System
- Project Value: A$50M
ACCIONA and BMD were the delivery contractors for the project with design and construction to the upgrade of the existing Blackmans Bay Sewage Treatment Plant.
- Increase of treatment capacity to 8.5 Million Litres per Day
- Construction of a new sewage pipeline to take waste from Margate, Electrona and Howden to the Blackmans Bay Sewage Treatment Plant
- The Kingborough Sewerage project was upgraded using a wastewater treatment process called Intermittently Decanted Extended Aeration (IDEA), which is combined with Sequential Batch Reactor (SBR) technology in order to provide a cost efficient way of treating wastewater
- Closure of 3 existing and underperforming sewage plants at Electrona, Margate, and North West Bay Golf Club
- One of the sustainable components of this project was to treat the wastewater without any chemical dosing, utilising Ultra Violet disinfection instead of chlorine. This helped to promote a safe environment for the plant operators and reducing any impacts on the environment
- This upgrade improves the pre-existing odour issues at Blackmans Bay and Dru Point (Margate)
- The construction of the new pipeline known as the Blue pipeline route were considered on community views, environmental consideration, engineering considerations, and lastly on cost and operational efficiency