Industrial water treatment
CLEAN WATER AND SANITATION
Ensure access to water and sanitation for all
Over 844 million people in the world live without access to a basic drinking water service, and 2.3 billionhave no access to a basic sanitation service, resulting in avoidable deaths, chronic disease, fewer hours of education and low productivity.
ACCIONA has positioned itself as a key player in the water treatment sector. Its innovative management seeks to resolve the challenges with respect to the shortage of water resources.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy accounts for 74 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low-carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the emerging needs of humanity and to minimize their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its effects to be a strategic priority. The company works to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
It is one of the largest purification plants in Europe, combining two large processes that operate in parallel: water line and sludge line.
- Project: Wastewater treatment plant, Baix Llobregat.
- Entity: Sociedad Depuradora del Baix Llobregat, S.A.
- Location: Prat de Llobregat, Barcelona (Catalonia). Spain.
- Capacity: Flow: 420,000 m3/day. Population: 2,275,000.
- Prefilter wells with screens with grids with 100 mm of separation between bars and 2 bivalve grabs with 500 litre capacity.
- Raw water pumping with 8+1 centrifugal pumps with the capacity to elevate up to 6,526 m3/h each and with trim.
- Discharge of thick and thin solids, in 8 channels equipped in 2 lines. Elimination of sand and oils using 12 desanders-deoilers.
- Measurement of the flow and by-pass to limit the flow entering the biological treatment to 35,000 m3/h.
- Twelve 20x60 m rectangular primary decanters.
- Biological treatment in 8 lines through activated sludge, combining anaerobic, anoxic and oxygenation processes.
- 14 circular secondary decanters with a diameter of 45.5 m.
- Sifting and thickening of sludge using 4 thickeners.
- Thickening of excess biological sludge using 4 centrifuges of 260 m3/h.
- Anaerobic sludge digestion using 8 digesters, each 7,180 m3.
- Four centrifuges, each 60 m3/h for the dehydration of digested sludge.
- Low storage of gas in 2 membrane tanks.
- Thermal drying of dehydrated sludge.
- Energy recovery from the digestion gas using 4 motor generators, each 2.8 MWe.
- Odour treatment for pre-treatment deodorising.