of bottom ash will be recover every year
environmental, economic and social benefits
SUSTAINABLE CITIES AND COMMUNITIES
Make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
Today, cities represent 3 % of the planet's surface and concentrate more than 50 % of the population. A figure that will rise to 70 % by 2050. In addition, cities generate more than 80 % of the world's gross domestic product (GDP).
In addition to facilitating access to essential services for life - such as energy and water - ACCIONA contributes to making cities places of productive well-being in which to live, favouring people's socio-economic development.
Mitigating the effects of climate change, the plant will treat residual waste from municipal, commercial and industrial sources. It will also recover around 73,800 tonnes of bottom ash every year, which will be processed and used in road bases and other construction materials.
This project is a step in the right direction to creating a circular economy which both the community and planet can reap the benefits of.
- Location: Rockingham Industrial Area, 40km south of Perth and 7km from the pionering plant in Kwinana.
- Contract Type: ACCIONA is the lead contractor for the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) project, together with HZI.
- Completion Date: December 2022
- Project Value: AU$511 million
- Landfill diversion 95.8%
- Generates around 50 full-time jobs over the life of the project
- Creates a circular economy
- Avoids harmful methane emissions
- Reduces overall greenhouse gas emissions
- Takes action on climate change