Powering the Prairie State with Homegrown, Clean Energy
CLEAN, NON-POLLUTING ENERGY
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
1 in 8 people still do not have access to electricity. In order to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all, it is necessary to increase the use of renewable energy from 25 % today to 38 % in 2025.
ACCIONA is positioning itself as a key player in addressing the growth in energy demand while curbing the progress of global warming and promoting the transition to a decarbonized energy model.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy is responsible for 74 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the new needs of humanity and to minimise their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its related effects to be a strategic priority. The Company is working to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
The project represents an estimated $300 million-dollar private investment and will bring more than 400 jobs during peak construction as well as a local, long-term operations and maintenance teams. Over its lifespan, the Will County solar project will bring in millions in local tax revenue and land lease payments to local landowners.
ACCIONA’s team is committed to using local businesses and services providers when possible, during development, construction, and operation.
The Will County solar project will include plantings to reduce storm water runoff, improve topsoil and improve habitat for pollinators.
Local Benefits of Solar Energy
- A boost in tax revenue. An independent economic analysis found that over 25 years, the project would generate estimated revenues of:
- $430,000 annually for Will County
- $100,000 annually for Custer Township
- $700,000 annually for Reed-Custer CUSD 255 School District
- $60,000 annually for the Custer Fire Protection District
- Local job creation and support of local businesses
- Local partnership opportunities. Each ACCIONA Energía project includes a social impact management program dedicated to advancing education, wellness or environmental stewardship
- Location: Will County, Illinois.
- Capacity: 300 MW PV
- Technology: Solar photovoltaic (PV) panels affixed to solar trackers
- Local Permitting: 2021-2022
- Construction: 2023-2024
- Begin Operations: 2025
- Owners: ACCIONA Energía
- Will be ACCIONA’S third Illinois project after the Eco Grove wind farm and High Point solar project, both located in Stephenson County, IL.
- Site will feature PV solar panels, affixed to solar trackers that maximize production throughout the day.
- Expected to generate millions in local tax revenue over the life of the project, while offering income diversity to the landowners participating in the solar farm.
- Over 400 new direct jobs during peak construction and an estimated 9 to 12 permanent jobs once operational.
Please visit our detail page for more information about this project including relevant documentation, latest project news and benefits.