Two wind farms of 252 MW in total
CLEAN, NON-POLLUTING ENERGY
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
1 in 8 people still do not have access to electricity. In order to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all, it is necessary to increase the use of renewable energy from 25 % today to 38 % in 2025.
ACCIONA is positioning itself as a key player in addressing the growth in energy demand while curbing the progress of global warming and promoting the transition to a decarbonized energy model.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy is responsible for 74 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the new needs of humanity and to minimise their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its related effects to be a strategic priority. The Company is working to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
The wind complex made up by Ventika and Ventika II wind farms represents the biggest turn-key contract (EPC) carried out by ACCIONA globally. This milestone in the company's track-record reaches 252 MW capacity thanks to eighty-four AW116/3000 wind turbines with Nordex/ACCIONA Windpower's technology. Each turbine, with 3 MW rated capacity, features a 116m-long rotor diameter on a 120m-high concrete tower. The project, which was installed by late 2015 and entered full commercial operation in April 2016, was built for a consortium formed by Fisterra Energy, CEMEX and some private inverstors. It is currently owned by IEnova (Sempra Energy). It was inaugurated by Mexican president Enrique Peña Nieto on September 12, 2016.
- Location: General Bravo, Nuevo Leon. Mexico.
- Capacity: 252 MW.
- Wind turbine generator: ACCIONA Windpower AW116/3000.
- Tower: Concrete, hub height 120m
- Start-up: 2016.
- Owners: EPC project for Cemex, Fisterra Energy and others.
- Largest EPC project carried out by ACCIONA Energy worldwide.
- First wind farm featuring concrete towers in Mexico, manufactured close to the site which means relevant cost-savings.
- Deep positive impact in the social and economic activity in the region.
- Built in 18 months, before initially planned.
- Covering an area of around seven thousand square meters, equivalent to near ten thousand football pitches.
- Two CEMEX Prizes awarded for the constructive quality of the project and its innovative aspects.
megawatts (MW) of power
tons of CO2 into the atmosphere avoided per year
jobs created during construction