Vedadillo Experimental Area and Wind Farm
CLEAN, NON-POLLUTING ENERGY
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
1 in 8 people still do not have access to electricity. In order to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all, it is necessary to increase the use of renewable energy from 25 % today to 38 % in 2025.
ACCIONA is positioning itself as a key player in addressing the growth in energy demand while curbing the progress of global warming and promoting the transition to a decarbonized energy model.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy is responsible for 74 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the new needs of humanity and to minimise their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its related effects to be a strategic priority. The Company is working to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
The Vedadillo Experimental Area features three wind turbines by Nordex-Acciona Windpower technology, with 3MW rated capacity each. All of them are installed on 120m-high concrete tower. Two turbines have a rotor of 116m diameter whereas the other one has a 125m rotor being one of the largest swept area in the onshore wind sector.
The Area is located near the Vedadillo Wind Farm, which includes 33 Nordex-Acciona Windpower wind turbines of 1.5MW rated capacity each, with 77m rotor diameter, on 80m steel towers.
Both facilities evacuate the power output to a nearby substation which was built by ACCIONA following the typical rural architecture of the region. They produce enough clean energy to power around 44,000 households.
- Location: Falces, Navarra (Spain).
- Capacity: 9 MW / 49.5 MW
- Wind turbines: 2-AW116/3000. 1-AW125/3000. 33-AW77/1500.
- Towers: Concrete (3-120m high) and steel (33-80m high).
- Start-up: 2013 / 2005.
- Owner: ACCIONA.
- The Experimental Area is used to test new technical solutions in wind turbines.
- It includes a 125m-rotor-diameter wind turbine, one of the largest in the onshore wind sector
- Both facilities produce enough power to meet the power demand of 44,000 homes
- Rural-style substation imitating the tradicional architecture in the region
- The Spanish Wind Power Association awarded the municipality of Falces the Award for Rural Integration of Wind Power in 2015.