Harvesting the sun's energy
CLEAN, NON-POLLUTING ENERGY
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
1 in 8 people still do not have access to electricity. In order to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all, it is necessary to increase the use of renewable energy from 25 % today to 38 % in 2025.
ACCIONA is positioning itself as a key player in addressing the growth in energy demand while curbing the progress of global warming and promoting the transition to a decarbonized energy model.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy is responsible for 74 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the new needs of humanity and to minimise their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its related effects to be a strategic priority. The Company is working to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
Located in the Calama commune, Antofagasta region, the Usya plant annually generate emission-free energy estimated at 146 gigawatt hours (GWh), equivalent to the electricity demand of some 70,000 Chilean homes.
The new photovoltaic installation has 187,200 modules installed on fixed structures, covering an area of some 105 hectares.
Around 400 people have worked in the phase of greatest construction activity of the project. After its entry into operation, the new plant avoids the annual emission of about 141,000 equivalent tons in coal plants.
- Location: Calama, Antofagasta (Chile).
- Peak power: 64 MWp.
- Rated power: 51 MW.
- Technology: Photovoltaic solar with horizontal solar trackers.
- Start-up: 2020
- Owner: ACCIONA
- ACCIONA's third large photovoltaic plant in Chile.
- It means once again overcoming the construction challenge of installing a large power plant in the desert environment
- Average annual production of 146 GWh.
- Clean energy equivalent to the demand of 70,000 Chilean homes.
- More than 141,000 tons per year of CO2 avoided in coal plants.
- 187,200 polycrystalline silicon photovoltaic modules.
- 105 hectares of surface.
- Up to 400 jobs created in the construction phase.
megawatts of peak power
equivalent households supplied
tons of CO2 avoided
Annual average output (GWh)