supporting the TBF since 2016
ACCIONA is present in South Africa with a wind farm located in Gouda, in operation since 2015, and in Sishen with a photovoltaic plant in operation since 2014.
Many learners at schools across the country arrive at school without having had breakfast. The Tiger Brands Foundation (TBF), in partnership with The National Department of Basic Education (DBE) – National Schools Nutrition Program (NSNP) currently implements an in-school breakfast feeding program at 62 other schools in 8 Provinces in South Africa.
With the intention of removing hunger as an obstacle of learning, the Energy division of ACCIONA is supporting the TBF since 2016. The foundation not only feeds the learners of the schools, their project also creates jobs. Food handlers receive training in food storage, preparation and hygiene.
The program is ongoing in 8 disadvantaged schools in areas and towns surrounding the windfarm of Gouda and in 5 schools in Gamagara Local Municipality, Sishen. Until today,there are 8,066 beneficiariesin total (3,200 in Gouda and 4,866 in Sishen).
The nutrition program entails a breakfast menu for a 5- day week utilizing Tiger Brands products(Jungle Oats, Morvite (Flavours),Ace Instant(Flavours) and Mabele). The “Food Handlers” are paid a salary for their services.
Progress and intended outcomes of the program
- Increase in learners’ concentration and participation levels
- Improved school attendance
- Improved overall health and well-being
- The food handlers continue to arrive at the schools on time and perform their duties well.
- Stock management at all schools has been very effective, with no waste orshortage reported.
- No incident of break-ins ortheft were reported.
- School attendance is consistently high.
- Hygiene levels at allschools very satisfactory
With this project, ACCIONA contributes to the commitment of social investment of the company improving the social welfare ofthe communitiesin the area of influence of the wind farm.