Water for irrigation
CLEAN WATER AND SANITATION
Ensure access to water and sanitation for all
Over 844 million people in the world live without access to a basic drinking water service, and 2.3 billionhave no access to a basic sanitation service, resulting in avoidable deaths, chronic disease, fewer hours of education and low productivity.
ACCIONA has positioned itself as a key player in the water treatment sector. Its innovative management seeks to resolve the challenges with respect to the shortage of water resources.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy accounts for 74 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low-carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the emerging needs of humanity and to minimize their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its effects to be a strategic priority. The company works to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
At the time of its construction Carboneras was the largest sea water desalination plant constructed in Europe and one of the largest in the world.
- Proyect: Carboneras Ocean Water Treatment Plant.
- Entity: ACUSUR.
- Location: Carboneras, Almeria. Spain.
- Capacity: 120,000 m3/day.
- The catchment of sea water (sea water intake), is performed using 2 collectors with diameter of 2 metres and 300 metres long, placed on the sea bed.
- Dosage of sodium hypochlorite for raw water.
- Pumping of raw water through 14 pumps that provide a flow of 965 m3/h each.
- Sand filtration through 14 vulcanised horizontal metal filters of 3,000 mm in diameter and 11,000 mm in length.
- Dispersant / anti-crusting dosage system to avoid possible precipitation of salts in the system.
- Safety filtration systems composed of 14 horizontal cartridge filters. Each one of these has 12 cartridges of 20 absolute microns.
- Metabisulphate dosage to neutralise the oxidation agent injected in the previous phase.
- High pressure pumping and energy recover using 14 turbo-pump groups (12+2 reserve) composed of a pump, motor and Pelton turbine.
- 12 Frames with a production capacity of 10,000 m3/day formed by 140 pressure tubes and each with 7 aromatic polyamide membranes.
- 45% conversion.
- Remineralisation through lime and CO2.
- Treated water tanks of 2,500 m3 and 16,500 m3.
- Dilution of the rejected brine with dilution of 4:1 with sea water to avoid any impact on the Posedonia Ocean.