A century of clean energy
CLEAN, NON-POLLUTING ENERGY
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
1 in 8 people still do not have access to electricity. In order to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all, it is necessary to increase the use of renewable energy from 25 % today to 38 % in 2025.
ACCIONA is positioning itself as a key player in addressing the growth in energy demand while curbing the progress of global warming and promoting the transition to a decarbonized energy model.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy is responsible for 74 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the new needs of humanity and to minimise their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its related effects to be a strategic priority. The Company is working to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
The Seira Station, located in the town of the same name in Huesca province, is a 36.65 megawatt (MW) plant with three power sets. Of the run-of-the-river type, it can supply clean energy to around 23,000 homes.
Its distinguishing feature is its historical importance. It was built between 1912 and 1918 to supply power to Barcelona, the one with the highest voltage in Europe at the time. It was an engineering work of extraordinary importance when it was built. It has been restored to its original architecture, and is a magnificent example of an early-20th-century industrial complex.
- Location: Seira. Huesca. Spain.
- Capacity: 36.65 MW.
- River basin: Ésera River.
- Type: A run-of-the-river plant with a diversion dam.
- Start-up: 1918.
- Flow through the turbine: 28 m3/s.
- Type of turbine: Francis (3).
- Gross fall: 146.5 m.
- Owner: ACCIONA.
- An installation of historical interest, an outstanding example of early-20th-century hydraulic engineering. It played a major role in the economic development of the area and in the supply of power to industry in Catalonia.
- Its interior and exterior design has been maintained in its original form as an example of modernist industrial architecture.
- Despite its age, thanks to modern equipment it still produces energy to cover the demand from around 23,000 homes.
Flow through the turbine
Net water fall
Centenary of the hydro plant at Seira
A century making electricity from water
In many respects, it is a living museum. The beauty of its architecture, and the antiquated machinery sparkling within its halls, are a delight to behold. But a century after construction, Seira hydroelectric power station is still generating clean energy...