homes in Texas
1st ACCIONA wind farm in Texas and 8th in the U.S.A.
In 2016, ACCIONA grid-connected the San Roman Wind Farm, a 93-MW project located in Cameron County, Texas. The wind farm supplies enough renewable energy to power over 30,000 homes.
It features thirty-one 3MW wind turbines by Nordex-ACCIONA Windpower technology.
The project represents the renewal of ACCIONA’s investment activity in the United States and raises the company’s wind energy capacity in the US to 721MW, with eight wind farms in six different states.
- Location: Cameron County, Texas.
- Capacity: 93 MW.
- Wind turbine: ACCIONA Windpower AW 125/3000.
- Tower: Steel, 87.5-meter hub height.
- Start-up: December 2016.
- Owners: ACCIONA
- First ACCIONA wind farm in Texas and 8th in the United States
- Made up of 31 AW125/3000 ACCIONA Windpower wind turbines, each with a 125m rotor diameter on 87.5m high steel tower (at hub level).
- Enough energy output to power 30,000 homes
- It will improve the reliability of the power supply in Rio Grande Valley.
- 80 new direct jobs during construction phase and 7 permanent jobs once operational.
- Project design based on detailed studies about wildlife and habitat to minimize environmental impact.
- The project will pay more than $30 million in local property taxes and more than $25 million in lease payments over its 25-year lifespan.
- ACCIONA will establish a local scholarship fund and community support program.