we aim to improve the communities life quality
CLEAN, NON-POLLUTING ENERGY
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
1 in 8 people still do not have access to electricity. In order to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all, it is necessary to increase the use of renewable energy from 25 % today to 38 % in 2025.
ACCIONA is positioning itself as a key player in addressing the growth in energy demand while curbing the progress of global warming and promoting the transition to a decarbonized energy model.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy is responsible for 74 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the new needs of humanity and to minimise their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its related effects to be a strategic priority. The Company is working to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
The Anaburu and Arasinagundi wind farms, located in Karnataka, have been in operation since 2008. To mitigate the negative impacts on the communities in the area of influence of the wind farm, ACCIONA began to collaborate with the organization Sambhav foundation in a program in Davangere, one of the main cities in Karnataka State.
Sambhav Foundation is dedicated to create sustainable ecosystem to foster inclusive education. The objective of the foundation along with ACCIONA is to provide skills interventions and vocational training to youth, both men and women to make them employable and to improve their socio-economic condition.
The project started with a rural study to understand the community requirements, followed by counseling and training of the candidates. After this, Sambhav Foundation set up the skill center in Jagalur Taluk, which comprised three courses:
- Dairy farming: 60 candidates
- Sewing Machine Operator: 60 candidates
- Work place skills: 60 candidates
The project implementation consisted of:
- Mobilization and counselling of the candidates
- Curriculum and content creation
- Recruitment of trainers for quality training outputs
- Training of the candidates
- Continuousformative and summative assessments
- Certification of candidates
- Placement assistance to the candidates
Two community meetings were held with the presence of ACCIONA management team and representative participants of the program.
The project objective was to impact lives of 150 candidates through skill development activities. At the end, 185 candidates enrolled the program, 180 candidates have successfully cleared the assessment and were certified. The training was aimed at candidates of diverse backgroundsin term of gender, caste, age group and education status.
The results of the program were highly positive:
- Maximum number of candidates enrolled were between 18-25 years
- Around 70% of enrolled candidates belonged to underprivileged communities
- 52% females were enrolled for the training
- Majority of the participants 114 (62%) had completed higher secondary education, while 47 (26%) were undergraduates
- 150 of 185 candidates were placed, only 5 dropped the course.
- Out of 180 certified candidates, 150 (83%) were successfully employed. Out of 150 employed candidates, 50(28%) candidates were wage employed and 100(55%) were self-employed.
ACCIONA with these actions aims to improve the quality of life of the communities around the wind farm and encourage the education of young people so that they can have a better future.