Leader in Mechanical-Biological Treatment
SUSTAINABLE CITIES AND COMMUNITIES
Make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
Today, cities represent 3 % of the planet's surface and concentrate more than 50 % of the population. A figure that will rise to 70 % by 2050. In addition, cities generate more than 80 % of the world's gross domestic product (GDP).
In addition to facilitating access to essential services for life - such as energy and water - ACCIONA contributes to making cities places of productive well-being in which to live, favouring people's socio-economic development.
The La Rioja Ecopark complex was built by ACCIONA as a benchmark for Urban Solid Waste Mechanical Biological Treatment facilities. Located in La Rioja, the plant uses the organic elements obtained from USW to produce biogas and compost. The biogas is then converted into energy using cogeneration engines, and the compost is matured and refined to be used as fertiliser.
- Location: Villamediana de Iregua, Spain
- Client: Consorcio de Aguas y Residuos de La Rioja (La Rioja Water and Waste Consortium)
- Technology: Waste to energy
10,000 tonnes of refuse per year from selective collection
35,000 tonnes of dehydrated sludge per year
5,000 tonnes of trimmings per year used for sludge maturation
- 6 horizontal digesters: 75,000 tonnes per year
- Biogas generation: 8,900,000 Nm3 per year
- 6 compost tunnels with capacity for 35,000 tonnes per year
- Estimated electricity generated per year: 4.18 million kW
- Biomethanisation system employs anaerobic digestion of the organic elements, using biogas in cogeneration engines
- Compost system