Circular economy and storage solutions
CLEAN, NON-POLLUTING ENERGY
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
1 in 8 people still do not have access to electricity. In order to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all, it is necessary to increase the use of renewable energy from 25 % today to 38 % in 2025.
ACCIONA is positioning itself as a key player in addressing the growth in energy demand while curbing the progress of global warming and promoting the transition to a decarbonized energy model.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy is responsible for 74 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the new needs of humanity and to minimise their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its related effects to be a strategic priority. The Company is working to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
The set of second-hand batteries, with a total capacity of 130kWh, stores the energy obtained from the 1.2-MWp plant to inject it in the grid and analyse its performance and behaviour.
The innovation project is rounded off by a comparative analysis to check the capacity of the recycled batteries to see if they can offer the same performance as new batteries.
- Location: Battery test bench in the Montes del Cierzo PV plant in Navarra
- Duration: August 2018-September 2021
- Participants: Acciona. Partner: BeePlanet
- Budget: €292,075
- Project funded by the Government of Navarra in its strategic projects programme for 2018-2020
Content and activities
- Procedures to characterise and classify second-hand EV batteries.
- Analysis of the state of health of the battery and age model. Design of test methodology aimed at industrial application.
- Design of an advanced Battery Management System (BMS) specifically for the monitoring and management of a range of second-hand batteries.
- Integration of second-hand batteries into the Test Bench for Storage Trials in the experimental photovoltaic plant in Tudela.
- Experimentation, tests, trials and validation of Advanced Operational Strategies for Storage Systems.