24 stages with 3 major commissioning events
As part of the JV team, Coleman Rail provided Key Management, Signalling & Track Personnel, and specialist plant & equipment in order to successfully undertake the works.
This complex project was divided into 24 stages with 3 major commissioning events and over 130 individual occupations of live assets. Coleman Rail staff were instrumental in the planning for works readiness and the execution of the works under track occupations.
All works on this D&C delivered project (with financial incentivised KRAs) were conducted in a ‘live’ brownfield rail environment affecting metropolitan, country and freight rail services, combined with road closures to enable construction of rail bridge and crash protection along Wurundjeri Way.
The Regional Rail Link, Work Package A, was successfully completed in December 2013 and serves its intended purpose through a thoroughly planned and well executed scope of works alongside strong management and coordination.
- Location: Victoria, Australia
- Contract: D&C
- Infrastructure: The project required the relocation of Metropolitan Network electrified rail track and other assets to facilitate the construction of 3.5km of new dual track. The Scope of Works included the construction of 7km of new track, 3km of track slews, 18 turnout/crossover installations, 2 new rail bridges, ground stabilisation works, 2 platform upgrades, 6km of combined services containment, overhead works and signalling including the supply installation and commissioning of two new computer based interlocks.
- Completion date: December 2013
- Contract Value: AU$118 million
The project was broken down into various work packages in which Coleman Rail (an ACCIONA company) participated in two of the six works packages and completed extensive works on other packages as a subcontractor.
On this particular work package (WPA) the complex construction works were undertaken adjacent to operational infrastructure and required excellent delineation and safe working protocols to provide a safe working environment.
Coleman Rail provided key Rail Managers and Supervisors experienced in urban renewal and upgrade projects to lend their knowledge on the construction process and planning throughout the design components of the project. The advice and implementation of the planning process during the construction phase lead to all the project goals being fulfilled and successful integration and delivery of the works.
As mentioned above, the Scope of Works included the construction of 7km of new track, 3km of track slews, 18 turnout/crossover installations, 2 new rail bridges, ground stabilisation works, 2 platform upgrades, 6km of combined services containment, overhead works and signalling including the supply installation and commissioning of two new computer based interlocks.
- Early engagement with both operational stakeholders and the broader community at large ensured minimal disruption.
- The Safety & Environmental/Sustainability KRA was recognised as game-breaking performance.
- The entirety of the project was completed whilst maintaining the heritage value and significance of the Property by retaining and restoring buildings and characteristics of primary heritage significance as required by Heritage Victoria.