boys and girls
In collaboration with Pratham Foundation
CLEAN, NON-POLLUTING ENERGY
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
1 in 8 people still do not have access to electricity. In order to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all, it is necessary to increase the use of renewable energy from 25 % today to 38 % in 2025.
ACCIONA is positioning itself as a key player in addressing the growth in energy demand while curbing the progress of global warming and promoting the transition to a decarbonized energy model.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy is responsible for 74 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the new needs of humanity and to minimise their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its related effects to be a strategic priority. The Company is working to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
Bannur wind farm is in operation since March 2017. In order to implement the Social Impact Management Methodology, the Energy division of ACCIONA launched a process of study and analysis of the needs in the communities around the area of the wind farm and the possibilities of collaboration with local entities.
Once this process was completed, ACCIONA signed a collaboration agreement with the NGO Pratham Foundation. Their proposal was considered the most appropriate since it focuses on the area of education, detected as one of the priority areas for the implementation of social measures.
Pratham Foundation is an organization that focuses on improving the quality of teaching and learning in India. Created in 1995, Pratham Foundation has expanded their geographical reach with the slogan “Every Child in School and Learning Well” as their goal is for all children in India to read, write and do elementary mathematical operations.
The program called Read India took place in 30 schools in Belagavi and Vijayapura, districts in the area of influence of the Bannur Wind Farm, benefiting 1,469 boys and girls. The aim of the program was to help students from 3, to 5 years old to improve their competences in language and mathematics with the methodology “TARL”, based on teaching at the right level of the student rather than age and grade.
Furthermore, they created the “Community Library Program”, which with the help of volunteers, they set up groups at different communities to pursue the learning of kids out of school.
The results were clearly positive:
- 81% of the kids attended the 71-100% of the classes.
- At the beginning of the program, 5% of the students would not recognize letters, at this point, every students of the program is capable of recognizing the alphabet.
- At the end of the program, 20% of the students recognized words and 37% were capable of reading phrases or paragraphs fluently, 17% more than at the beginning of the program.
- At the beginning, only 2% of the students were capable of reading a story, with the help of the program, 37% are now reading and understanding texts and histories fluently.
- 2% of the students did not recognize any number at the beginning of the program, at this point every student identify at least one digit number.
- 10% of kids at the end of the program recognize two digits numbers.
- At the beginning, 45% of the students recognized three digits numbers, now, 85% identify three digits numbers.
In addition to the work in the schools, 600 visits were carried out to the homes of the surrounding communities to raise awareness not only to the children but also to the parents of the importance of going to school and participating in the activities of the community.
BENEFITS FOR THE COMMUNITY
With this project, ACCIONA contributes to the commitment of social investment of the company, implementing educational campaigns in the schools of the area of influence of their projects and thus, improve the social welfare of the communities.