one of the largest light rail maintenance facilities
INDUSTRY, INNOVATION AND INFRASTRUCTURE
Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
Economic growth, social advancement and action against the climate emergency depend largely on investment in infrastructure, sustainable industrial development and technological progress. Today, about 1 billion people live more than 2 km from a roadway, 940 million live without electricity, and 663 million lack improved drinking water sources.
ACCIONA participates in the entire infrastructure construction value chain, from the identification of opportunity, design and execution, to the operation and maintenance of the constructed works, using the most advanced and innovative techniques.
Performance quality and safety are two of the criteria that maximize the company's value proposal in the development of large infrastructure projects and that differentiate it from other competitors in the construction field.
The Preston Tram Workshops Redevelopment Project involved the full reconstruction of the Preston Tram Workshops. The primary objective and purpose delivered by the project were to successfully upgrade the existing workshops to provide a modern & operationally efficient facility for mixed fleet tram depot operation & maintenance activities that met the requirements of Yarra Trams' Strategic Operations Plan and Tram Cascade Plan.
In the broader redevelopment of the Preston Tram Depot, the project works comprise the redevelopment of approximately 80% of the site, including substantial slab track works outside the property in Miller St, the junction of Miller Street and St Georges Road and in Miller St, High Street and Plenty Road, Preston. The redevelopment project entails a series of coordinated and staged sub-projects, with progressive handover of agreed areas and decanting of existing maintenance and operational functions.
The Preston Workshops Redevelopment Project was successfully completed in February 2016 and serves its intended purpose through a thoroughly planned and well executed scope of works alongside strong management and coordination.
- Location: Preston, Victoria
- Contract: Design & Construct
- Infrastructure: The development of the existing site to facilitate stabling, servicing and maintenance of up to 70 E-class and five C2-class trams planned to be operated from Preston in 2016 whilst accommodating for a range of maintenance, project and workshop activities for other tram types.
- Completion date: February 2016
- Project Value: AU$190 million
Coleman Rail, an ACCIONA company was appointed as Principle Contractor and was responsible for all facets of project delivery & implementation including design, construction, overseas procurement/importation, installation, testing and commissioning activities.
Coleman Rail was responsible to manage all depot design aspects (1760 drawings split over 70 major design packages), including track, OHLE, electrical, civil and architectural. Coleman Rail also lead a Lean Management Review of the operation of the depot, leading the clients workforce to challenge and refine work practises.
All works involved progressed in a staged manner to facilitate the programmed introduction of E-class trams whilst concurrently accommodating ongoing delivery and off-loading of E-class trams onto the Preston Workshops property. The manner in which the works were conducted to minimise the disruption to heavy maintenance and depot operations meant it was vital to communicate and coordinate interface management and project staging to avoid any delay’s to the Other Works Contractors also.
- Coleman Rail’s strong community engagement strategy in conjunction with Public Transport Victoria and Yarra Trams ensured both the public and stakeholders were regularly informed and notified about the latest updates and possible disruptions the project could ensue.
- The project has delivered an environmentally sustainable design which meets current Yarra Trams "green depot" requirements and all safety and community expectations whilst concurrently delivering overall value for money to the Principal and PTV through a whole of life and value engineered approach to design and construction executed on time and on budget.
- The entirety of the project was completed whilst maintaining the heritage value and significance of the Property by retaining and restoring buildings and characteristics of primary heritage significance as required by Heritage Victoria.