Helping locial communities and its regional economy
CLEAN, NON-POLLUTING ENERGY
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
1 in 8 people still do not have access to electricity. In order to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all, it is necessary to increase the use of renewable energy from 25 % today to 38 % in 2025.
ACCIONA is positioning itself as a key player in addressing the growth in energy demand while curbing the progress of global warming and promoting the transition to a decarbonized energy model.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy is responsible for 74 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the new needs of humanity and to minimise their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its related effects to be a strategic priority. The Company is working to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
ACCIONA participated in the humanitarian aid, as well as in the process of reconstruction of houses and the infrastructures affected by the earthquake.
One of the most obvious problems was the lack of knowledge of the urgent and specific needs of the affected population. Not only was humanitarian aid required in the form of products but there was also a need to rebuild the social environment and the regional economic networks.
For this reason, an alliance was formed with the AECID (Spanish Agency for International Development Cooperation), AMEXCID (Mexican Agency for International Development Cooperation) and the Melendre Committee, a community organization whose members are originally from the affected region, to attend damaged communities with the objective to work with craftsmen and producers of indigenous communities in the Isthmus to reactivate their activities, base of the local regional economy.
ACCIONA contributed in 3 projects, in the affected area:
- Adopt an oven: when reactivating an oven made of mud, of which more than 5.000 that were destroyed, a commercial community network is reconstructed with direct positive impact to families of different regions and areas.
- Knitting sisterhood: the preparation of each garment requires the effort of carpenters, draughtsman, weavers and dressmakers. It is worth mentioning that an important sector of the Isthmus population is dedicated to these traditional activities which were topped after the September earthquakes.
- Istmeña basic basket: The Melendre Committee, due to non commercial activities in the region, linked the donors from all over the country with regional producers and merchants for the benefit of the affected families. As an emergency, they were given a basket with regional food products supporting the local and regional economy.
The objectives of the initiatives are to improve the social and economic conditions of the beneficiaries after the earthquakes and take advantage of the negative effects to create synergies between the social and housing needs and the recovery of the local economy to cover those needs. With this project, approximately 795 beneficiaries have been reached.
The company's role has been financing 50% of the project and monitoring the progress and results.
The main lines of action are the following:
- Promote economic activities for the poorest
- Reduce inequality and vulnerability to extreme poverty and the crisis
- Respond to humanitarian crises.
This project is part of the bilateral cooperation between Mexico and Spain, and is developed as a Public-Private Partnership for Development (PPPD), in which all participating entities are partners of the project and share the objectives, resources, risks and achievements.