Sustainable urban planning
The project is focused on efficient integration of city districts with industrial parks through smart thermal grids. The overall objective of the project is to demonstrate a highly replicable, cost-effective and high energy efficiency large scale energy generation system that will allow sustainable urban planning of very low energy city districts. By that, we aim at optimising the use of medium (150-400ºC) and low (30-150ºC) temperature waste heat recovery from industry and its use for energy supply to cities.
The following systems and concepts will be developed: Waste heat recovery systems, Organic Rankine Cycle for heat and power generation, thermal energy storage systems (short and long-term), optimized thermal energy distribution network (low temperature thermal grids), solar thermal energy, optimized integration of new technologies and concepts developed and state-of-the-art renewable energy systems and innovative tools for efficient energy management of the system
The concept of the project will be demonstrated in a twofold strategy:
- Real demonstration plant in Brescia (Italy): medium/high temperature waste heat recovery (600ºC) from a steel foundry and ORC unit (2,1 MWe) for heat and power generation. Use: District heating to a nearby city district.
- Virtual demonstration plant in the City of Kremsmunster (Austria): Seasonal thermal energy storage system for the management of the surplus waste heat in the industry. Use: Solar thermal energy (10.000m2) as back-up energy system, increasing the renewable contribution by 25%. Heat supply to a residential area nearby.
Boundary conditions and requirements: To establish the boundary conditions and requirements for the systems and concepts that will be developed in the project:
- To analyse the different industries in the two demonstration plants.
- To characterize the available waste heat in the two demonstration plants.
- To analyse the existing thermal energy distribution systems in the two demonstration plants.
System concept assessment and detailed design: To define the conceptual and detailed design of subsystems and the whole system to be installed in Brescia, and desk analysis for Kremsmunster:
- To perform a feasibility conceptual assessment of the whole system.
- Conceptual design, detailed design and manufacturing of the waste heat recovery system and the ORC unit to be installed in the demonstration plant of Brescia.
- Conceptual and detailed design for the adaptation of existing tanks to be used for seasonal storage in the demonstration plant of Kremsmunster.
- Design and development of the energy management system for control and regulation of the two demonstration plants.
- To integrate all the technologies and develop a detailed design of the optimized whole system, including guidelines for design of districts with the new concepts.
Demonstration: To demonstrate the performance of the whole system developed in the city of Brescia (Italy)
- Installation, start-up and commissioning of the demonstration plant in Brescia
November 2013 to November 2017
- Fundación TECNALIA Research and Innovation
- Steinbeis Innovation GMBH.
- SOLID Gesellschaft fur solarinstallation und design MBH.
- BIOS Bioenergiesysteme GMBH.
- STADT Graz.
- ORI MARTIN.
- CIM-MES Project SP ZOO.
Czeck RepublicForsteel SRO
- Forsteel SRO.