Our lastest wind project in Texas
CLEAN, NON-POLLUTING ENERGY
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
1 in 8 people still do not have access to electricity. In order to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all, it is necessary to increase the use of renewable energy from 25 % today to 38 % in 2025.
ACCIONA is positioning itself as a key player in addressing the growth in energy demand while curbing the progress of global warming and promoting the transition to a decarbonized energy model.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy is responsible for 74 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the new needs of humanity and to minimise their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its related effects to be a strategic priority. The Company is working to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
In 2019, ACCIONA brought the Palmas Altas Wind Farm online. In 2020, the company is increasing its investment in Cameron County with the La Chalupa Wind Farm. When operational, La Chalupa will be the single largest wind farm in ACCIONA's North American portfolio at 198 MW. Together the two wind farms will offer 343 MW of capacity, generating enough electricity for 97,000 Texas homes.
Palmas Altas and La Chalupa will feature 109 wind turbines manufactured by Nordex. Palmas Altas and La Chalupa are ACCIONA's second and third projects in Cameron County, where the company has operated the San Roman Wind Farm since 2016. When completed, La Chalupa will raise the company’s wind energy capacity in the US to 1,064 MW, with ten wind farms in six different states.
- Location: Cameron County, Texas. UU.EE
- Capacity: Palmas Altas 144.9 MW / La Chalupa 198 MW
- Wind turbine: Nordex AW 125/3150
- Tower: Steel, 87.5-meter hub height
- Start-up: Palmas Altas, December 2019/ La Chalupa under construction
- Owners: ACCIONA
- Second and third ACCIONA wind farms in Texas and 9th and 10th in the United States
- Together made up of 109 AW125/3150 ACCIONA Nordex wind turbines, each with a 125m rotor diameter on 87.5m high steel tower (at hub level)
- Enough energy output to power 97,000 homes
- More than 1100 GWh of wind energy produced annually
- More than 270 jobs created during the construction of Palmas Altas and 300 during the construction of La Chalupa. Nineteen full-time jobs in O&M once both projects are operational
- New Social Impact Management program to support Cameron County
Please visit our detail page for more information about this project including relevant documentation, latest project news and benefits.