the final component of the W2B
INDUSTRY, INNOVATION AND INFRASTRUCTURE
Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
Economic growth, social advancement and action against the climate emergency depend largely on investment in infrastructure, sustainable industrial development and technological progress. Today, about 1 billion people live more than 2 km from a roadway, 940 million live without electricity, and 663 million lack improved drinking water sources.
ACCIONA participates in the entire infrastructure construction value chain, from the identification of opportunity, design and execution, to the operation and maintenance of the constructed works, using the most advanced and innovative techniques.
Performance quality and safety are two of the criteria that maximize the company's value proposal in the development of large infrastructure projects and that differentiate it from other competitors in the construction field.
Our scope includes clearing and grubbing, earthworks, drainage, plain concrete pavement, fauna crossings, road furniture, delineation and landscaping for two northbound lanes in a single carriageway.
In August 2019 Roads & Maritime Services (now Transport for NSW) directly awarded ACCIONA a contract for the Early Works for the final 8km Section 2A of the W2B roadworks from Wells Crossing to Glenugie, followed by award of the main contract in February 2020.
This was our fifth successful tender on the overall Pacific Highway W2B Upgrade. Factors contributing to our win included the timely delivery and safety achievements of our highly experienced teams on W2B Sections 10&11 and the Richmond River Bridge project. Our scope includes clearing and grubbing, earthworks, drainage, plain concrete pavement, fauna crossings, road furniture, delineation and landscaping for two northbound lanes in a single carriageway.
Early Works commenced in August 2019 and overall completion is scheduled for July 2021. Interestingly, our project team measured what is believed to be a new record of wet weather for our projects, recording more than 1018mm of rainfall in a single month in mid-February 2020.
Following the success of our trial use of recycled glass in the paving of the W2B Sections 10 & 11 project, we will work collaboratively with RMS and Lismore Council to continue that initiative on this project.
Other components of the W2B project included the Sections 10 & 11 Civil Works, Section 10 Pavement and the Bridge over Richmond River at Broadwater. In addition, our sister company Australian Precast Solutions supplied all Precast Planks, Headstocks and Abutments for all 155 bridges in the entire Woolgoolga to Ballina Upgrade.
This project adds to our strong track record in having upgraded more than 289km of the Pacific Highway’s 669km between Hexham and Tweed Heads.
- Length: 8km
- Earthworks: 320,000m3
- 8 x Structural Culverts + 1 Bebo Archway
- Improved road user safety for the 8km of NB carriage way between Wells crossing to Glenugie though upgraded road alignment/geometry
- Improved pavement quality and upgraded safety barrier systems
- Upgraded and safer intersections and access to adjoining local roads though acceleration and deceleration lanes and uturn bays
- Upgraded fauna connectivity through the NB carriage way and exclusion fencing from the old NB Pacific Highway all resulting in continuity with the remainder of the Woolgoolga to Ballina upgrades to the North and South.
- Location: Pacific Highway, Wells Crossing to Glenugie, NSW
- Contract Type: Construct only
- Completion date: August 2019 – May 2021 (forecast)
- Project Value: $69.4 million