key link with the M4 Motorway and the future M12
INDUSTRY, INNOVATION AND INFRASTRUCTURE
Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
Economic growth, social advancement and action against the climate emergency depend largely on investment in infrastructure, sustainable industrial development and technological progress. Today, about 1 billion people live more than 2 km from a roadway, 940 million live without electricity, and 663 million lack improved drinking water sources.
ACCIONA participates in the entire infrastructure construction value chain, from the identification of opportunity, design and execution, to the operation and maintenance of the constructed works, using the most advanced and innovative techniques.
Performance quality and safety are two of the criteria that maximize the company's value proposal in the development of large infrastructure projects and that differentiate it from other competitors in the construction field.
This 3.8km component involves widening its two undivided lanes to a four-lane divided road, including a kerbside bus lane in each direction. It generally follows the existing road alignment and includes the reconstruction of the crucial M4 Motorway Interchange with The Northern Road. There will be continuous bus lanes in each direction, as well as a new shared pedestrian and cyclist path and footpaths.
A set of lights at the M4 interchange will be removed, the overpass widened in a new bridge and the westbound off-ramps will allow for the separation of northbound and southbound traffic. Widening of the road involves a significant amount of services relocations and property adjustments. Sydney Water, Endeavour Energy, Telstra, Jemena, Optus, NBN Company and Pipe Networks are the major providers having assets that will require relocation. The road pavement is being fully reconstructed across the entire length of the project. Our scope also encompasses street lighting, drainage, safety barriers, landscaping, retaining walls and noise barriers.
Our team successfully achieved a significant milestone with the demolition of the 50-year old bridge over the M4 Interchange. Demolition was fully completed within a 72-hour full shutdown of the motorway over the June 2019 long weekend. Importantly, this was the first time that Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) and the NSW Transport Management Centre (TMC) had allowed a major arterial motorway to be continuously shut down for this length of time.
- Location: The Northern Road - from Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park to Jamison Road, South Penrith, Western Sydney, NSW
- Contract Type: Design & Construct
- Completion date: 2020
- Project Value: $200 Million
- Widening a 3.8km section of The Northern Road providing a divided road with three general traffic lanes and a kerbside bus lane in each direction including 120,000m3 of earthworks
- Upgrading the interchange with the M4 Western Motorway including: Replacing the existing bridge over the M4 Motorway, realigning and widening the motorway entry and exit ramps and replacing the two sets of existing traffic lights with one set of traffic lights
- Replacing the roundabout at Glenmore Parkway / Wentworth Road with a four-way intersection and a set of traffic lights
Realigning sections of Aspen Street and Hilliger Road to allow for a four-way roundabout at Maxwell Street. This roundabout would include a traffic light on Aspen Street only, to control the flow of traffic into Maxwell Street
- Installation and relocation of 44km of utility services including electrical, telecommunication, gas, potable water and sewer conduits
- Successful collaboration between TfNSW, TMC, NSW EPA and ACCIONA for the successful 72-hour shutdown of the M4 Motorway, demolishing the existing Northern Road bridge.
- The Project is a component of the Australian and NSW Governments’ Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan. This upgrade of the Northern Road, Glenmore Parkway to Jamison Road will:
- Improve congestion
- Support future public transport
- Improve road user safety