INDUSTRY, INNOVATION AND INFRASTRUCTURE
Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
Economic growth, social advancement and action against the climate emergency depend largely on investment in infrastructure, sustainable industrial development and technological progress. Today, about 1 billion people live more than 2 km from a roadway, 940 million live without electricity, and 663 million lack improved drinking water sources.
ACCIONA participates in the entire infrastructure construction value chain, from the identification of opportunity, design and execution, to the operation and maintenance of the constructed works, using the most advanced and innovative techniques.
Performance quality and safety are two of the criteria that maximize the company's value proposal in the development of large infrastructure projects and that differentiate it from other competitors in the construction field.
Our scope includes property adjustments and extensive relocations of gas, electricity, water, telecommunications and other utilities. A significant additional contract was awarded to the team to divert the Sydney Water Main servicing this growing area.
A key section of the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan, this contract comprises three components that are being delivered as a single project to reduce the impact on local residents and traffic:
The Northern Road Upgrade - Stage 2: An 11.3km upgrade of The Northern Road, between Peter Brock Drive at Oran Park and Mersey Road at Bringelly.
Bringelly Road Upgrade - Stage 2: Upgrading 4.3km of Bringelly Road, between King Street and The Northern Road.
Grade-separated Interchange: Replacing the intersection of The Northern Road and Bringelly Road with an underpass for The Northern Road, allowing traffic flow along both major roads without the need to stop at traffic lights.
Both of these major roads have been widened from generally two traffic lanes to become four-lane roads together with kerbside bus lanes, plus a wide central median to allow for future widening to six main traffic lanes. There is also a 3m-wide shared pedestrian/cyclist path, new slip lanes and upgrades of intersecting streets.
Bringelly Road remains on its existing alignment, while a re-aligned section of The Northern Road has been diverted from its previous route. To create the new underpass, our team placed 2,600m3 of concrete in a single continuous pour to construct one of the largest voided-slab, post-tensioned bridges ever built in Australia. At 57m wide, it is wider than the 45m-wide Sydney Harbour Bridge.
The existing South Creek bridge will be demolished and replaced by two new 38m-long bridges over South Creek. Other aspects include indented bus bays on both sides of Bringelly Road, plus construction of a new car park and service road for Rossmore Public School.
- Location: Sydney, New South Wales.
- Contract type: Construction.
- Project value: $450 Million.
- Year of project completion: 2020
- Total Length: 15.6 km.
- 99,214 m3 of lean mix concrete.
- 2,590m3 of concrete placed in a single continuous pour to construct one of the largest voided slabs.
- ~$14 million on Indigenous spend.
- Increased capacity to cater for future population growth in the area.
- Improved safety for motorists by: building new intersections with traffic lights to access precincts, building a central median to separate opposing traffic flows, building turning lanes at intersections.
- Improved safety for cyclists and pedestrians through an off-road shared path.
- Improved travel times and capacity to accommodate future development needs.
- Access to future South West Priority Growth Area along the Northern Road.
- Improved access and travel times for road freight in Sydney’s south west.