Miajadas Biomass Plant
CLEAN, NON-POLLUTING ENERGY
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
1 in 8 people still do not have access to electricity. In order to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all, it is necessary to increase the use of renewable energy from 25 % today to 38 % in 2025.
ACCIONA is positioning itself as a key player in addressing the growth in energy demand while curbing the progress of global warming and promoting the transition to a decarbonized energy model.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy is responsible for 74 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the new needs of humanity and to minimise their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its related effects to be a strategic priority. The Company is working to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
In service since 2010, the Miajadas biomass plant was the first in Europe equipped to use two types of raw material (herbaceous and ligneous waste), which means that the supply of fuel can be diversified. It was developed as an R&D project together with companies and technology centers in Spain, Finland and Denmark, with backing from the European Union’s 7th Framework Program for support to research.
- Location: Miajadas. Cáceres. Spain.
- Capacity: 15MW
- Technology: Thermal generation from burning herbaceous and ligneous biomass.
- Start-up: 2010
- Owner: ACCIONA
- First European plant to use herbaceous (corn stover) and ligneous (pruning and forestry waste) biomass.
- Average annual production: 128 GWh, equivalent to the electricity demand of 40,000 homes.
- 110,000 metric tons of biomass consumed per year.
- 123,000 metric tons of CO2 avoided per year.
- Creation of added value in the rural environment.
- Logistics system that guarantees the supply or raw material.
- Monitoring, supervision and management of waste products and emissions.
From the field to your household appliances
Energy is present in everything around us, and biomass is the best example of this. Find out all about Miajadas (Cáceres, Spain) and its biomass plant so that you can understand how this renewable energy source works.