The main objective of LEE-BED is to bring together world leading European RTOs and enterprises to establish an Open Innovation Test Bed to de-risk and accelerate the development and manufacturing of nanomaterials and lightweight embedded electronics for the benefit of European industry.
The digitalisation of the European production industry (industry 4.0) through digital based production technologies, such as ink-jet printing, additive manufacturing, robotically assisted in-mould labelling, laser processing, stereo lithography, etc., requires functional nanomaterials and formulations and is a major bottleneck due to high prices and limited volume production.
LEE-BED will address these challenges by building European infrastructure for rapid development and pilot production of nanomaterial, inks, adhesives and composites as well as digital based pilot production lines. LEE-BED will unify the entire value chain from raw materials to embedded electrical components, providing tailored solutions for European entrepreneurs, start-ups, SMEs and large enterprises, with the main objective of going from concept to prototype within six months. LEEBED will guide European industry towards sustainable implementation of innovative technologies, making them stronger and more globally competitive.
The ambition for LEE-BED is to eliminate these barriers and offer solutions to European industry through a full service from concept to pilot production of prototypes, as seen in the LEE-BED concept in Figure 1. LEE-BED will have of a single entry point (SEP) attracting European enterprises through three key phases, consisting of (1) a techno/economic assessment, including life cycle analysis, patent mapping and safety/regulatory review, (2) a pilot project using existing and upgraded pilot lines and (3) knowledge transfer, including intellectual property rights (IPR) and patent assessments, standards/safety screening and access capital investment opportunities. LEE-BED will bring together and upgrade pilot line facilities across the entire value chain from (a) production of functional nanomaterials to (b) formulation of tailored inks, adhesives and composites, and to (c) digital production of light weight smart components with embedded electronics. The result will minimise concept to prototype to below six months, minimise resources and costs and promote keeping manufacturing industry within Europe. LEE-BED’s main focus will be rapid development and pilot production of nanomaterials, composites and formulations for 2D and 3D printing of embedded electronics using scalable processing techniques.
In addition to provide European industry with competitive pilot line technologies within embedded electronics applications, the following economic/resource goals must be met:
- Reduction of nanomaterial production costs by over 50% – Current pricing of conductive pigment based on micro-Ag flakes, is around 500-750 €/kg. To replace micromaterials with nanomaterials, superior performance and materials is not enough. Pricing must also be competitive, i.e. below 1000 €/kg for nano-Ag.
- Reduction of production waste by 20 % - Upgrading pilot lines with in-line monitoring will decrease both materials needed for development and production of faulty goods.
- Reduction of materials used by 30 % - Through use of high performance nanomaterials, electrical resistivity can be reduced by 1/3, reducing the material needed to reach target sheet resistance by 30 %.
- Reduction of indirect energy consumption by over 15 % - Implementation of LEE-BED nanomaterials, formulations and production processes will provide LEE-BED users with 15 % less indirect energy consumption
For ACCIONA our main objective is to embed wireless sensors systems into pultruded composite building elements. This will directly contribute to reduce maintenance costs and increase safety. Electronic functionalities include sensing, wireless data transfer and energy harvesting.
Jannuary 2019 –Jannuary 2023 (48 Months)
- SUSTAINABLE INNOVATIONS EUROPE SL
- RISE RESEARCH INSTITUTES OF SWEDEN AB
- TEKNOLOGI & PRODUKT UDVIKLING AS
- ACCIONA CONSTRUCCION SA
- INSTITUTO TECNOLOGICO DEL EMBALAJE, TRANSPORTE Y LOGISTICA
- FRAUNHOFER GESELLSCHAFT ZUR FOERDERUNG DER ANGEWANDTEN FORSCHUNG
- D. SWAROVSKI KG
- TEKNOLOGISK INSTITUT
- D. SWAROVSKI DISTRIBUTION GMBH
- TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITEIT EINDHOVEN
- GRAFIETIC SL
- NEDERLANDSE ORGANISATIE VOOR TOEGEPAST NATUURWETENSCHAPPELIJK ONDERZOEK TNO
- VSPARTICLE BV
- GLOBAL EQUITY & CORPORATE CONSULTING SL
- AXIA INNOVATION UG
- MAIER SCOOP
- CENTRE FOR PROCESS INNOVATION LIMITED LBG COMMISSARIAT A L ENERGIE ATOMIQUE ET AUX ENERGIES ALTERNATIVES
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 814585