substantial additional economic focus
CLEAN, NON-POLLUTING ENERGY
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
1 in 8 people still do not have access to electricity. In order to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all, it is necessary to increase the use of renewable energy from 25 % today to 38 % in 2025.
ACCIONA is positioning itself as a key player in addressing the growth in energy demand while curbing the progress of global warming and promoting the transition to a decarbonized energy model.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy is responsible for 74 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the new needs of humanity and to minimise their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its related effects to be a strategic priority. The Company is working to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
The solar farm will be constructed on 100Ha of cleared, level land which was historically used for agriculture, including grazing and a former dairy operation. The location was chosen for its high exposure to solar radiation and proximity to the electricity grid.
Planning approval was granted by the Local Government Authority Gannawarra Shire Council in September 2017 for the development of a solar farm. The A$55M project will generate significant economic activity in the Gannawarra Shire and surrounds.
- Location: Kerang, Victoria
- Expected Capacity: Up to 40 MW
- Project Value: A$55M
- Construction duration: Approx. 9 months
- The project will provide a substantial additional economic focus in the Gannawarra Shire
- Generate a construction peak workforce of 50 jobs
- Result in the establishment of a Shared Benefits Program to strategically deliver added value to the local region over the lifecycle of the project
- Provide a sustainable and renewable source of energy for the region, with clean energy equivalent to the consumption of around 15,000 homes annually
ACCIONA has also produced photomontages of significant viewpoints around the project. These utilise current photographs, from the project site, to illustrate how the completed Kerang Solar Farm will appear to the surrounding community.