First European experience
CLEAN, NON-POLLUTING ENERGY
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
1 in 8 people still do not have access to electricity. In order to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all, it is necessary to increase the use of renewable energy from 25 % today to 38 % in 2025.
ACCIONA is positioning itself as a key player in addressing the growth in energy demand while curbing the progress of global warming and promoting the transition to a decarbonized energy model.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy is responsible for 74 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the new needs of humanity and to minimise their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its related effects to be a strategic priority. The Company is working to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
- Location: Photovoltaic plant at Tudela (Navarra, Spain).
- Duration: 1/04/2010 - 31/03/2013.
- Participants: ACCIONA, ACCIONA Windpower, Universidad Pública de Navarra, Ikerlan, IIT.
- Additional information: ILIS is a program that comes under the EU program Eurogia+, in support of clean energy technologies. It also receives support from the Spanish Ministry of Science and Technology and the Government of Navarra.
CONTENT AND ACTIVITIES
- The project was carried out in the photovoltaic solar plant of ACCIONA in Tudela (Navarra). Through ILIS, the company wished to valorize all the experience gained in the construction and operation of this kind of installation in order to improve its performance.
- A key element in the project was the development of a new centralized management and control system for the plant – carried out by ACCIONA – taking into account parameters such as weather forecasts, grid requirements and the previous performance of the plant and the set of batteries. It also provided real-time information to the system operator, thus optimizing its integration into the electric power system.
- Another new feature of the ILIS project is the use of latest-generation batteries. The system provides the energy necessary to manage the installation, avoiding quick power fluctuations due to environmental factors such as cloud cover, and facilitates the primary and secondary regulation of the power grid as a help to ensuring the stability of the system.
- The company Saft has developed this system with latest-generation batteries (ion-lithium), which have a long life, high efficiency, zero maintenance and facilitate the measurement of the load and other operational parameters. The whole 1.1 MW battery system is containerized, which means it can easily be scaled up for future applications.