CLEAN, NON-POLLUTING ENERGY
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
1 in 8 people still do not have access to electricity. In order to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all, it is necessary to increase the use of renewable energy from 25 % today to 38 % in 2025.
ACCIONA is positioning itself as a key player in addressing the growth in energy demand while curbing the progress of global warming and promoting the transition to a decarbonized energy model.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy is responsible for 74 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the new needs of humanity and to minimise their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its related effects to be a strategic priority. The Company is working to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
The proposed Herries Range Wind Farm is located near Karara (about 50km west of Warwick) in the Darling Downs Region of Queensland. The Project is proposed across the Southern Downs, Goondiwindi and Toowoomba local government areas.
The Herries Range wind farm is located within the Southern Queensland Renewable Energy Zone (QREZ), an area identified by the Queensland Government as a priority region for the development of renewable energy projects that will support jobs and drive investment across the regional economy. The Project is anticipated to comprise around 180 wind turbines, with ancillary infrastructure including on-site substations, and the potential for future energy storage.
- Location: Karara, Queensland
- Capacity: Approximately 1000MW
- Number of turbines: up to 180
- Energy production: equivalent up to 700,000 households annually
- Jobs: up to 600 jobs during peak construction, up to 10 ongoing full-time roles during operation
- Significant economic activity across the Southern Downs, Goondiwindi and Toowoomba Regional Council Areas.
- Up to 600 jobs during peak construction and up to 10 full-time roles once the wind farm becomes operational.
- Providing a diversified income for wind farm host landowners.
- Employment and procurement opportunities for local residents and businesses.
- Establishment of a community enhancement program which will assist community organisations, community groups and local schools with financial grants to support community events, projects and activities.
- A Scholarship Program open to local students to provide support to further their education at University or TAFE.
Please visit our detail page for more information about this project including relevant documentation, latest project news and community benefits.