novel concepts of the use of robotics and autonomous systems
Hephaestus proposes novel concepts to introduce the use of robotics and autonomous systems in the construction sector, where at this time the presence of this type of products is minority or almost non-existent.
Highly automatEd PHysical Achievements and performancES using cable roboTs Unique Systems (Hephaestus)
Hephaestus proposes novel concepts to introduce the use of robotics and autonomous systems in the construction sector, where at this time the presence of this type of products is minority or almost non-existent. The project focuses mainly on offering innovative solutions in one of the most important areas of the construction sector: that related to façades, both in the construction phase of a new building and in the maintenance phase.
The Hephaestus project aims to automate the installation and replacement of curtain wall modules in building facades, empowering and strengthening the construction sector in Europe and positioning the European robotic industry as a leader and reference in the huge and new growing market for this technology.
The main challenge that will be addressed throughout the Hephaestus project will be the installation of curtain wall modules by means of a cable robot capable of operating autonomously in a vertical work space in large buildings (on façades of up to 30 -40 floors), in an outdoor environment and with a series of active electronic devices on a modular end-effector kit incorporated by the robot. This end-effector includes all the necessary accessories for the monitoring and control of the system, as well as for carrying out the different operations for the installation of the panels.
The Hephaestus solution, with its multifunctional character, would be able to perform various activities within the construction environment, such as:
- The scanning of the structure of the building to obtain high-precision drawings of its final state and connect them with the BIM model of the building.
- The installation of prefabricated façade panels.
- The execution of painting works and cleaning of the curtain wall in a high-rise building.
- The replacement of damaged elements, the repair of cracks, the maintenance of possible solar cells, etc.
As a final milestone of the project, the demonstration of the operation of the cable robot (with all its components) will be performed during the installation of a series of curtain wall modules in a building, to verify the performance of the entire system developed in real work conditions.
01/01/2017 – 30/06/2020 (42 months)
- Fundación Tecnalia Research & Innovation (TEC) - Spain
- Technische Universität München (TUM) - Germany
- Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der angewandten Forschung e.V. (FhG) - Germany
- Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (LIRMM) - France
- Cemvi Catena Elevación Manutención Vicinay S.A. (CEMVI) - Spain
- nLink AS (NLINK) - Norway
- Focchi Spa (FOCC) - Italy
- Acciona - Spain
- R2M Solution Ltd (R2M) – United Kingdom
HEPHAESTUS project is a European Innovation Action which has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme under grant agreement N° 732513.