Development of insulating concrete systems
Development of insulating concrete systems based on novel low CO2 binders for a new family of eco-innovative, durable and standardized energy efficient envelope components (ECO-Binder)
The ECO-binder project aims to implement industrial R&D activities on the results of previous research, demonstrating the possibility of replacing Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC) and OPC based concrete products with new ones based on the new Belite-Ye’elimite-Ferrite (BYF).
The new building envelope solutions will integrate multiple functions in a single product package, providing the higher performances in terms of acoustic insulation/absorption, fire resistance, dimensional stability, indoor air quality optimization, at an affordable cost.
January 2015 – December 2018
Develop a new generation of concrete-based construction materials and prefabricated building envelope components with more than 30% lower embodied energy, 20% improved insulation properties and 15% lower cost than the actual solutions based on Portland cement.
Demonstration of full-scale retrofitting and construction will be performed prototyping and installing a family of prefabricated concrete systems of different complexity and end-use in four different climatic conditions involving public authorities.
Results will be validated through dedicated LCAs, fostering the construction materials sector progress towards increased performing and ecosustainable products.
- D'APPOLONIA - Italy
- HEIDELBERGCEMENT AG – Germany
- LAFARGE CENTRE DE RECHERCHE - France
- VICAT - France
- BUILDING RESEARCH ESTABLISHMENT LTD – United Kingdom
- TEKNOLOGISK INSTITUT - Denmark
- NATIONAL TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY OF ATHENS - Greece
- NOVEL TECHNOLOGIES CENTER - Romania
- GEONARDO ENVIRONMENTAL TECHNOLOGIES - Hungary
- ACCIONA INFRAESTRUCTURAS S.A - Spain
- NUOVA TESI SYSTEM SRL - Italy
- FUNDACION TECNALIA RESEARCH & INNOVATION - Spain
- FENIX TNT - Czech Republic
- MUNICIPIUL DROBETA TURNU SEVERIN - Romania