We support the community
CLEAN, NON-POLLUTING ENERGY
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
1 in 8 people still do not have access to electricity. In order to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all, it is necessary to increase the use of renewable energy from 25 % today to 38 % in 2025.
ACCIONA is positioning itself as a key player in addressing the growth in energy demand while curbing the progress of global warming and promoting the transition to a decarbonized energy model.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy is responsible for 74 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the new needs of humanity and to minimise their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its related effects to be a strategic priority. The Company is working to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
ACCIONA carried out a diagnosis in the regions of La Venta and Santo Domingo Ingenio (Juchitán, Oaxaca), with the objective of reducing the impacts generated and obtaining first-hand information on the social needs that the Company might be able to support.
This program motivated the development of a Community Investment Plan, which includes a package of social improvement initiatives that are currently being implemented, with a total number of beneficiaries amounting to more than 20,000 people over the last few years.
Some of these initiatives are:
- Prevention and detection of cervical cancer in women and prostate cancer in men.
- Prevention of unwanted pregnancies and HIV among young people.
- Actions for self-care and prevention of cervical cancer.
- Actions for self-care and prevention of prostate cancer.
- Construction of the La Venta Eco-efficient Center: Promote employment and human capital formation, fostering social, economic and environmental growth.
- Educational Infrastructure: Construction of toilets for the schools, painting and fitting out of windows in elementary school, provision of construction materials for 4 classrooms.
- Promotion/Support of sports in the communities: Donation of sports material and construction and equipping of soccer fields.
COMMUNITY EDUCATION CAMPAIGNS
- Creation of the Wind Energy Master's Scholarship Fund and the Higher Education Scholarship Fund within your reach: Contribute to training in wind energy. Supporting young people for higher education.
- Technical course on design and manufacture of small wind turbines: Aimed at people with a career interested in creating micro-enterprises; manufacture with intellectual property of a 1.5 KW wind turbine.
- Human formation and psycho-pedagogical workshops: Donation of furniture for the library. Training to promote literacy, Spanish and mathematics; summer course for the youngest members of the community.
- Workshop on embroidery of typical clothing/computer skills, etc. developed at the Community Center.
- Sustainability Classroom/Environmental Education: Development of the Sustainability Classroom in the communities neighboring the wind farms, voluntary waste collection; talks on environmental issues at the wind farms.
- Support for higher education.
- Self-employment production center for the manufacture of poles.
- Promotion of the La Venta agricultural and livestock project through the creation of 11 rural production companies and 70 beneficiary ejidatarios.
PROTECTION/RESTORATION OF SITES OF NATURAL INTEREST TO THE COMMUNITY (ENVIRONMENT)
- Reforestation of certified protected areas.