The most efficient park by net operating hours
Grid-connected in 2014, the Chiripa Wind Farm is the first one installed by ACCIONA in Costa Rica. It consists of 33 ACCIONA Windpower 1.5MW wind turbines and produces more than 200 million kilowatts a year, enough to power around 80,000 homes. The extremely high wind resouce in the area makes Chiripa the most efficient wind farm among those operated by ACCIONA in terms of load factor (more than five thousand net hours a year).
- Location: Tilarán, Guanacaste. Costa Rica.
- Capacity: 49.5 MW.
- Wind turbine: ACCIONA Windpower AW77/1500.
- Tower: Steel, hub height 80 m .
- Start-up: 2014.
- Owners: ACCIONA (65%), Grupo Ecoenergía (35%)
- First ACCIONA's wind farm in Costa Rica
- Investment of USD125 million
- Project won after a tender by Instituto Costarricense de Electricidad (ICE)
- More than 200 GWh average output per annum
- Clean energy equivalent to the power demand of around 80,000 homes.
- 192,000 tonnes of CO2 from coal-fired power stations avoided
- Inaugurated on November 15th, 2014, by the Costa Rican Vice-president Ana Helena Chacón.
- 328 jobs created during the construction phase, more than a half from the vicinity
- Over 16 hectares reforested with around 5,700 indigenous plants.
megawatts (MW) of power
tons of CO2 into the atmosphere avoided per year
jobs created during construction
native species planted