Standardised approaches and products
The total floor area of residential buildings in the EU-28 is approximately 18 billion m2, 15 billion m2 of this is estimated to need heating to ensure comfort conditions. Heating needs are quite uniform all over Europe, amounting to around 140-170 kWh/m2 yr final energy consumption, compared to around 25 kWh/m2 yr in DHW consumption.
Cooling consumption is an issue only in the southern countries, where it generally ranges between 30 and 50 kWh/m2 yr.
In absolute terms, heating consumption in the residential sector in Europe arrives at around 2300 TWh/yr, DHW consumptions reaches 500 TWh/yr, while cooling consumption is less than 100 TWh/yr
From this picture, it is clear that heating demand needs to be addressed most urgently.
Nonetheless, a solution that covers both aspects and avoids a future increase of cooling loads in absolute terms is more attractive.
Since the replacement rate of the existing stock is very small (1-1.5 % per year), the solutions have to be focused on existing building retrofitting.
Therefore, this sector offers a unique opportunity for sustainable business and social growth if:
- 1.Efficient, systemic (tackling envelope and HVAC systems renovation) and easy-to-implement solutions 1. are elaborated, allowing renovated buildings to approach the net-zero-energy standard and, at the same time, enhancing both comfort and healthiness conditions.
- 2.Efficient, reliable, non-intrusive and cost-effective technologies are readily made available on the market, facilitating the implementation of the systemic solutions.
- 3.Large investments are mobilized both from the public and private sectors, covering renovation costs that rarely can be borne by single private owners.
- 4.Information and coherence about available solutions is brought into the market, facilitating the decision-making and planning processes.
- Elaborate systemic packages for the deep rehabilitation of residential buildings, at affordable prices.
- Develop innovative technologies facilitating the implementation of the renovation measures.
- Develop financial tools enabling large public and private investments to be mobilized.
- Involve the construction chain from the very beginning and all along the building life cycle.
ACCIONA´S main rol within the project:
- Coordination of the façade system design that integrates solar panels, high-reflective cladding panels, mechanical ventilation with heat recovery and a standardized sub-structure that allows the anchoring of all this elements.
- Lab-tests to validate the façade system.
- Manufacture and supply the high-reflective cladding panels to be installed in the demo buildings.
- Acciona Infraestructuras: 504.125 €
- Project total: 9.136.073 €
01/September/2015 - 31/August/2019 (48 months)
- EURAC (Accademia Europea Bolzano) - COORDINATOR
- SITI (Istituto Superiore sui Sistemi Territoriali per L’innovazione)
- CLIVET (Clivet S.P.A.)
- YOURIS (youris.com GEIE, Belgium)
- NEMET (Nemetschek Allplan Systems GmbH)
- PINK (Pink GmbH)
- HALFEN (HALFEN GmbH)
- AIRRIA (Greencom development s.c.r.l)
- SCHNEIDER (Schneider Electric S.P.A)
- NEXT ENERGY (EWE-Forschungszentrum für Energietechnologie e.V.)
- ARUP (Ove Arup & Partners International Limited)
- RIGENERA (Riqualificazione, Gestione Nuove Energie per il Residenziale e l’Ambiente)
- MIG (MIG Material Innovative Gesellschaft mbH)
- CIRCE (Fundación CIRCE)
- ZAVI (Sociedad Municipal Zaragoza Vivienda S.L.U)
- USAL (The University of Salford)
- SALIX (Salix Homes)
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No. 680658