Organic energy use in Castilla y Leon
CLEAN, NON-POLLUTING ENERGY
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
1 in 8 people still do not have access to electricity. In order to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all, it is necessary to increase the use of renewable energy from 25 % today to 38 % in 2025.
ACCIONA is positioning itself as a key player in addressing the growth in energy demand while curbing the progress of global warming and promoting the transition to a decarbonized energy model.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy is responsible for 74 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the new needs of humanity and to minimise their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its related effects to be a strategic priority. The Company is working to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
ACCIONA grid connected the biomass plant at Briviesca (Burgos) in September 2010, a facility that symbolized the introduction of new technologies and the exploitation of energy of an organic nature in an eminently agricultural area in the region of Castilla y León.
- Location: Briviesca. Burgos. Spain
- Capacity: 16 MW
- Technology: Thermal generation from herbaceous biomass
- Start-up: 2010
- Owners: ACCIONA (85%), Ente Regional de Castilla y León (15%)
- Implementation of pioneering technology in the territory.
- Average annual production: 128 GWh, equivalent to the electricity demand from 40,000 homes.
- 102,000 metric tons of cereal straw consumed per year.
- 123,000 metric tons of CO2 avoided per year.
- Creation of added value in the rural environment.
- A logistics system that guarantees the supply of raw material.
- Monitoring, supervision and management of waste products and emissions.
- Creation of around 100 stable jobs, both direct and indirect.