cutting-edge Building Energy Management System
Design, develop and demonstrate a cost-effective, adaptable and industrialized 'envelope system' for building refurbishment
Objectives of the project
The overall objective of BRESAER project is to design, develop and demonstrate a cost-effective, adaptable and industrialized 'envelope system' for building refurbishment. The BRESAER envelope (for façades and roofs) will include a combination of active and passive pre-fabricated solutions which will be integrated in a versatile lightweight structural mesh. These solutions include:
- Structural metallic profiles that are easy to assemble and support different envelope components.
- Multifunctional and multilayer insulation panels that will provide insulating capacity, lightness and ease of anchoring, and will include integrated PV panels.
- Combined solar thermal air and PV envelope component for indoor space heating and ventilation, thermal insulation and electricity generation.
- Multifunctional lightweight ventilated façade module, with integrated photovoltaic system for electricity generation, and thermo-reflective and self-cleaning coating.
- Dynamic windows with automated and controlled air-tightness and insulated solar blinds.
- Combined thermo-reflexive (improving fire resistance) and self-cleaning coating (through photo-catalytic nanoparticles).
This new technology is expected to significantly reduce the building’s primary energy consumption and Greenhouse emissions while improving indoor environment quality (through thermal, acoustic, lighting comfort) and air quality at the same time. In addition, a cutting-edge Building Energy Management System will be developed to measure and control both the envelope and the building’s energy consumption through integrated simulation-based control techniques for automating the establishment of optimal operational plans.
The performance of the prototypes and the installation procedures have already been tested in a relevant environment (experimental buildings). The solution will be tested in a real demonstration environment on a public building in 2018.
Milestones to achieve
The BRESAER’s expected impact is to reach a near zero energy building (total primary energy consumption below 60 kWh/m2 per year) by the reduction of the energy demand for space heating and cooling around 30%, a contribution of solar thermal energy for space conditioning around 35%, and a contribution of RES for electricity generation around 15%. The estimated payback time is expected to be 7 years.
Besides, the following innovations are expected.
- An integrated, adaptable active retrofitting solution for the building envelope
- Easy assembly and disassembly to reduce on-site work and maintenance. The claddings can be interchanged and upgraded easily during the building life
- Adaptable to a wide range of buildings and climate, even buildings with specific features thanks to the adjustable dimensions of the panels (a photogrammetry is required to adjust the dimensions)
- Aesthetical advantage: any kind of design can be addressed
- Industrialised solution to reduce costs
- Integration of different active and passive components into a global solution optimised due to an innovative BEMS
- Improvement of indoor comfort (ventilation, temperature, light)
- User-centred and user-friendly
February 2015 – July 2019
- ACCIONA (Coordinador)
- MONDRAGÓN CORPORACIÓN
- NATIONAL MINISTRY OF EDUCATION OF TURKEY
BRESAER project is a European research and innovation action which has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement N° 637186.