75,000 ha into irrigable land.
INDUSTRY, INNOVATION AND INFRASTRUCTURE
Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
Economic growth, social advancement and action against the climate emergency depend largely on investment in infrastructure, sustainable industrial development and technological progress. Today, about 1 billion people live more than 2 km from a roadway, 940 million live without electricity, and 663 million lack improved drinking water sources.
ACCIONA participates in the entire infrastructure construction value chain, from the identification of opportunity, design and execution, to the operation and maintenance of the constructed works, using the most advanced and innovative techniques.
Performance quality and safety are two of the criteria that maximize the company's value proposal in the development of large infrastructure projects and that differentiate it from other competitors in the construction field.
The initial stage of the project includes the construction of the canal over the last 22.27 km, including all of the necessary hydraulic works for the proper control of the canal. In addition, two intakes were designed for two irrigation sectors: 8 and 9. This project does not include a study of the conveyance system necessary for the irrigation reservoirs. In the initial phase of the project, the owner reported the need to include the construction of a new intake in the project plan.
- 13.3 km were built with a trapezoidal cross-section, with a bottom width of 3.00 m and a top width of 12.60 m, and lined with 15-cm thick HM-25 concrete with polypropylene fibre.
- 5.3 km of tunnel construction: the 300-m long Serranía Tunnel was excavated using conventional methods (the New Austrian Method) and the 4,990-m long Bessons Tunnel was excavated with an open shield tunnel boring machine. Both tunnels were lined using a trolley.
- 2 km bottom-poured (executed with a double concrete pipe with metal covering, with an internal diameter of 2,400 mm)
- 1.7 km distributed across 3 aqueducts (1 of them to cross over the AP-2 Highway).
- Location: Lleida, Spain
- Contract type: Construction
- Infrastructure: 13.3 km were constructed as a trapezoidal canal, 3.00 metres wide at the base and 12.60 metres at the crown, a tunnel with a diameter of 4.1 m and a length of 5.3 km, 2 km bottom poured, and 1.7 km distributed across 3 aqueducts
- Year of project completion: 2012