Three 186 MWp twin plants in Aswan
CLEAN, NON-POLLUTING ENERGY
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
1 in 8 people still do not have access to electricity. In order to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all, it is necessary to increase the use of renewable energy from 25 % today to 38 % in 2025.
ACCIONA is positioning itself as a key player in addressing the growth in energy demand while curbing the progress of global warming and promoting the transition to a decarbonized energy model.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy is responsible for 74 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the new needs of humanity and to minimise their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its related effects to be a strategic priority. The Company is working to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
In February 2019, eleven months after construction works started, ACCIONA and Enara Bahrain Spv Wll (ENARA), the renewable energy platform of the Saudi company Swicorp, completed three photovoltaic plants in Egypt with a total a rated capacity of 150 megawatts (MW) - 186 MWp. The facilities, owned at 50% by both companies, represent an investment of around 180 million US dollars and are located in the Benban complex, set up by the Egyptian Government in the Aswan region. They represent the first renewables project by ACCIONA Energía in Egypt.
The three projects come under the feed-in tariff system established by the Egyptian Administration in call for tender Round 2, published in October 2016. Overall, they will produce clean energy equivalent to the consumption of around 150,000 Egyptian homes and avoid the emission of 297,000 tonnes of CO2 per annum from fuel-oil power plants.
- Location: Benban, Aswan (Egypt).
- Total peak capacity: 186 MWp.
- Total rated capacity: 150 MW.
- Technoloy: Solar PV on horizontal-axis tracking structures l.
- Start-up: 2019
- Ownership: ACCIONA (50%), Enara (Swicorp) (50%)
- First ACCIONA's renewable facility in Egypt.
- Ownership shared between ACCIONA (50%) and Enara Bahrain Spv Wll, renewable energy platform of Swicorp (50%)
- Total investment around USD180m
- Estimated average annual energy output: 456 GWh.
- Clean energy enough to power 150,000 Egyptian homes.
- The power generated will be supplied to the utility Egyptian Electricity Transmission Company (EETC) under a long-term PPA contract.
- More than 297,000 tonnes of CO2 avoided from fuel-oil thermal power plants annually.
- 572,322 solar modules in the three plants.
megawatts of peak power
South African households
tons of CO2 into the atmosphere avoided
Average annual production
Solar Photovoltaic Plant in Sishen, South Africa | ACCIONA