Delivering more frequent and reliable train services
INDUSTRY, INNOVATION AND INFRASTRUCTURE
Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
Economic growth, social advancement and action against the climate emergency depend largely on investment in infrastructure, sustainable industrial development and technological progress. Today, about 1 billion people live more than 2 km from a roadway, 940 million live without electricity, and 663 million lack improved drinking water sources.
ACCIONA participates in the entire infrastructure construction value chain, from the identification of opportunity, design and execution, to the operation and maintenance of the constructed works, using the most advanced and innovative techniques.
Performance quality and safety are two of the criteria that maximize the company's value proposal in the development of large infrastructure projects and that differentiate it from other competitors in the construction field.
SUSTAINABLE CITIES AND COMMUNITIES
Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
Today, cities represent 3 % of the planet's surface and concentrate more than 50 % of the population. A figure that will rise to 70 % by 2050. In addition, cities generate more than 80 % of the world's gross domestic product (GDP).
In addition to facilitating access to essential services for life - such as energy and water - ACCIONA contributes to making cities places of productive well-being in which to live, favouring people's socio-economic development.
The project has built the infrastructure needed for more frequent and reliable train services for passengers on the Ballarat Line. This will allow better connectivity for Melbourne’s outer western suburbs, Bacchus Marsh, Ballan and Ballarat, and more opportunities for regional Victorians to access jobs, education, healthcare and housing.
- Location: Ballarat, Victoria, Australia.
- Contract type: Alliance contract comprising of ACCIONA, Coleman Rail (an ACCIONA company), V/Line, Rail Projects Victoria and SMEC.
- Year of project completion: Late 2019
- Year of commissioning: 2021
As part of the project, funded by the the Victorian and Federal Government, 18 kilometres of track was duplicated between Deer Park West and Melton, allowing trains to pass each other in this section to enable more frequent services and boost reliability for all services along the line.
The project included rebuilding Rockbank Station with two new platforms, a new pedestrian overpass linking the platforms and more than 350 car parking spaces. There is also a new second platform and pedestrian overpass at Bacchus Marsh, Ballan and Wendouree stations.
The new Cobblebank Station, between Rockbank and Melton, includes two platforms connected by an accessible pedestrian overpass, sealed car parking, drop-off zones, taxi spaces and secure bicycle facilities, bus interchange and shelters, security and lighting, and station facilities.
Additionally, there is a new stabling facility at Maddingley, three kilometres of track duplication between Bacchus Marsh Station and Rowsley Station Road, a 4.5 kilometre passing loop at Ballan and a new four-kilometre passing loop at Millbrook which will allow more services to be introduced and boost reliability.
The new passing loops will make it possible to close the existing Bungaree loop and remove five level crossings.
Major construction on the project commenced in late 2017 and was completed in late 2019.
- The Ballarat Line Upgrade will enable much-needed extra services during peak times, and trains every 40 minutes off-peak, to service growing communities in Melbourne’s outer west, Bacchus Marsh, Ballan and Ballarat.
- Passing loops at Ballan and Millbrook will provide more options for trains to pass each other, allowing more frequent services and helping services recover faster from unexpected delays.
- Upgrades at Wendouree Station will allow trains to pass each other in this section for the first time.
- A new station at Cobblebank will cater to the region’s growing population.
- A rebuilt Rockbank Station features more than 350 car parking spaces, better access for buses and pedestrians, improved security and lighting and landscaping.
- Upgrade to Bacchus Marsh Station including a new platform, pedestrian overpass and 100 new car park spaces.
- Upgrade to Ballan Station including a new platform, pedestrian overpass and a new car park on the southern side of the station.
- Better accessibility at all new and upgraded stations.