Tonnes of storage
INDUSTRY, INNOVATION AND INFRASTRUCTURE
Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
Economic growth, social advancement and action against the climate emergency depend largely on investment in infrastructure, sustainable industrial development and technological progress. Today, about 1 billion people live more than 2 km from a roadway, 940 million live without electricity, and 663 million lack improved drinking water sources.
ACCIONA participates in the entire infrastructure construction value chain, from the identification of opportunity, design and execution, to the operation and maintenance of the constructed works, using the most advanced and innovative techniques.
Performance quality and safety are two of the criteria that maximize the company's value proposal in the development of large infrastructure projects and that differentiate it from other competitors in the construction field.
SUSTAINABLE CITIES AND COMMUNITIES
Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
Today, cities represent 3 % of the planet's surface and concentrate more than 50 % of the population. A figure that will rise to 70 % by 2050. In addition, cities generate more than 80 % of the world's gross domestic product (GDP).
In addition to facilitating access to essential services for life - such as energy and water - ACCIONA contributes to making cities places of productive well-being in which to live, favouring people's socio-economic development.
The entire concrete structure is heavily reinforced through reinforced and pre-stressed steel. Within the works of the caisson, the electro-mechanical installation tasks required by the LNG Terminal were included.
The works of the GBS caisson were based on a foundation slab, which slides 12,50 m high on the walls in cells over an area of 15,840 m2. Above the cells, a slab support for the tank was built to slide once again the 33 m upper closing walls, and close it up with the upper slab known as the 'top side', where the gas processing plant was installed.
It is the first offshore gas terminal installed in the world and has the European record for a sliding surface at 196,000 m2.
ACCIONA Infrastructures won, for this work, the award for Safety and Occupational Hazard Prevention by AkerSolutions, the client for which the works where performed.
- Location: Algeciras, Spain.
- Contract type: Construction.
- Infrastructure: Construction of the first offshore gas terminal installed in the world, the terminal is a pre-stressed-concrete caisson, 180 m long, 88 m wide and 47 m high and weighing over 280,000 tonnes, strongly reinforced by reinforced and pre-stressed steel and has 2 natural gas storage tanks, each with a capacity of 125,000 m3.
- Year of project completion: 2007
GBS has two basic functions once it is positioned and offshore ballasting:
- Serving as a gas deposit and distribution storage for liquefied natural gas through its two inner tanks. The periodic replenishment of these tanks will be carried out by gas carriers with a capacity of up to 145,000 m3, ordered specifically as part of this Project.
- Providing structural support for the necessary industrial facilities for the regasification process of liquefied natural gas, with a capacity of regasification of 1.1 million m3/hour. From the platform itself, a large pipeline runs along for the distribution to the region of northern Italy.